Bonsai forum

Need Advice Bald Cypress

• Haoleboy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Need Advice Bald Cypress was created by Haoleboy

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28727
So i purchased a Bald Cypress today from a local nursery. It looked pretty goodod in the pot. But once i started to repot it, i noticed a huge swirling root. Tree was very root bound to say the least. It had actually punched through the pot and grew into the ground. The other flaw (among a few) is one side lacks flare. It looks like an elephant foot. I ended up putting it in a masonry tub poked a couple small holes in the bottom and planted it in potting mix.

Any ideas as to what (if any), the solution(s) may be to correct these flaws? I'm open to suggestions.
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by Haoleboy

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Need Advice Bald Cypress

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28736
You would probably need to do a hard prune on those roots to get any kind of good base. I know several people who have hard-pruned bald cypress roots with good results. John Geanangel has a few videos on them. For the bald spot, you might try to add a few cuts with hormone to promote new roots, which will take time, but better than nothing. Keep the soil damp - they're a swamp tree & prefer wet to dry.
Here's a link to John's page: www.youtube.com/channel/UCxOEBT81SjIAoDQnpx49fbQ
Here's a link to Oregon's forest service advice on cuttings & root growth: www.fs.fed.us/pnw/olympia/silv/publicati...CopesRandall1993.pdf
by brkirkland22

• Haoleboy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Haoleboy on topic Need Advice Bald Cypress

Posted 7 years 3 months ago #28737
That's what i was thinking. Tree is already under a lot of stress. A lot of roots were already removed. We're having a pretty mild winter this year and i may want to work on that next year being that it's already situated in its container. Thank you for the reply.
by Haoleboy