Bonsai forum

What is happening to my Bonnie?

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13228

RecklessDogs wrote: I can't change the spot she's in if it's about the light, but when I bought her, I was informed not to keep her in too much direct sunlight. (I find contradictory info, and info that says this is right, don't know what to believe) but my roomies have cats that would eat her if I placed her anywhere else. Plus, any other room than mine is kept cold because the cats are let in and out all times of the day, and I don't want her to be killed by something that silly

Hi, well I was about to ask what species we were talking about in order to properly advise on sunlight, but I saw it is a Carmona tree (Fukien Tea)...

Well, this tree is considered as an "indoor" tree, which means that if temperatures fall below 15-20ºC you should put it indoors, not that the tree per se should remain at any time of the year indoors. For instance, where I live it has been a rather hot autumn and I´m still keeping my ficus outdoors (being the only exception a couple of days in which temps fell below 10ºC at night), but as soon as I observe a steady tendency on temperatures dropping below 15ºC I´ll put it inside my house. Now, once you have it indoors, it will still need a reasonable amount of sunlight, so I would advise placing it in front of a big window, with no curtains, preferably facing south or east. This way it would receive around 3 to 6 hours of direct sunlight, depending on the latitude you are living in. Also, I would recommend regular misting of the tree besides the normal water regime you provide to the tree.

Anyways, for a more detailed Carmona (Fukien Tea) care guidelines you can click on this link: www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/carmona

Alain
by alainleon1983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175

Replied by bob on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13234

alainleon1983 wrote:

RecklessDogs wrote: I can't change the spot she's in if it's about the light, but when I bought her, I was informed not to keep her in too much direct sunlight. (I find contradictory info, and info that says this is right, don't know what to believe) but my roomies have cats that would eat her if I placed her anywhere else. Plus, any other room than mine is kept cold because the cats are let in and out all times of the day, and I don't want her to be killed by something that silly

Hi, well I was about to ask what species we were talking about in order to properly advise on sunlight, but I saw it is a Carmona tree (Fukien Tea)...

Well, this tree is considered as an "indoor" tree, which means that if temperatures fall below 15-20ºC you should put it indoors, not that the tree per se should remain at any time of the year indoors. For instance, where I live it has been a rather hot autumn and I´m still keeping my ficus outdoors (being the only exception a couple of days in which temps fell below 10ºC at night), but as soon as I observe a steady tendency on temperatures dropping below 15ºC I´ll put it inside my house. Now, once you have it indoors, it will still need a reasonable amount of sunlight, so I would advise placing it in front of a big window, with no curtains, preferably facing south or east. This way it would receive around 3 to 6 hours of direct sunlight, depending on the latitude you are living in. Also, I would recommend regular misting of the tree besides the normal water regime you provide to the tree.

Anyways, for a more detailed Carmona (Fukien Tea) care guidelines you can click on this link: www.bonsaiempire.com/tree-species/carmona

Alain

I have learnt less in a week awesome post ! ;)
by bob

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Replied by alainleon1983 on topic What is happening to my Bonnie?

Posted 9 years 6 months ago #13235

bob wrote: I have learnt less in a week awesome post ! ;)

Ha... Thanks man. I´m glad I can be helpful every once in a while. :)
by alainleon1983