Bonsai forum

Pruning Ficus Ginseng

• TeamCooper
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pruning Ficus Ginseng was created by TeamCooper

Posted 3 months 2 days ago #82345
Hello,

I have a Ficus Ginseng which is now around 30 years old but I have not been good on pruning and it has gone a little 'wild'.

I would like to prune it back to create a fuller, compact look but I am concerned it will be very bare for a long period of time.

I have attached a picture, would really appreciate your views.

Many thanks
Darren
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This image is hidden for guests.
by TeamCooper

This message has an attachment image.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pruning Ficus Ginseng

Posted 3 months 2 days ago #82348
30 years old ficus ginseng, wow! I did not even knew they have been in production that long. The first ones here showed up some 15-20 years ago.

Ficus in this health is strong plants and can take a lot of pruning. Even to the point when all leafs are gone, back to a basic structure. Obviously it takes a while to fill in after.

Your other option is to start cutting new growth off a few times a year. That will stimulate backbudding and new more compact branches. After a wile one can start removing unproportional branches.

It is more or less two ways to reach similar goals. A more proportional , compact and ramified tree. The first option is bigger risk, looks ugly meanwhile and takes longer time, but have potential to grow a much better tree.

The second option will be faster, look better meantime but risk to be a slightly lower quality tree.

This is the debate we all have inside. Building a fairly good tree in least amount of time or a fantastic one in a distant future?
Last Edit:3 months 2 days ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by Tropfrog.

• TeamCooper
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by TeamCooper on topic Pruning Ficus Ginseng

Posted 3 months 2 days ago #82349
Thanks very much for your help. I am not sure ow old my tree is, but I have had it for 15 years and when I bought it, it was quite large (i.e. 20cm high with a good trunk, so I guess it was another 10-15 years old when I purchased it.... could be wrong).

I think I will try and trim it right back and leave a few leaves on the branches to hopefully stimulate good growth for the future. Assume if I trim a branch below the leaf line, it will still produce leaves in the future? I guess not guaranteed though...

Really appreciate your views.
by TeamCooper

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1361

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pruning Ficus Ginseng

Posted 3 months 2 days ago #82350

I think I will try and trim it right back and leave a few leaves on the branches to hopefully stimulate good growth for the future. Assume if I trim a branch below the leaf line, it will still produce leaves in the future? I guess not guaranteed though...

Excactly. I do not guarantee anything and bear no responsibility for any harm done to your tree following my advices :)
by Tropfrog