• Page:

TOPIC:

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79010

• Oyster Sauce
  • Oyster Sauce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 0
What would be the result of creating a fusion bonsai where a single live trunk is of one species surrounded by trunks/seedlings of another species but of the same genus? Ex. A single living grapefruit trunk/whip completely surrounded by orange trunks/whips. In other words, a Tanuki bonsai using a live centre. Would there be complications of any sort?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79011

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
It can be done, but it would not be a tanuki.

Tanuki is made with deadwood. Trunk fusion bonsai is the correct term for your project idea.

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79096

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

What would be the result of creating a fusion bonsai where a single live trunk is of one species surrounded by trunks/seedlings of another species but of the same genus? Ex. A single living grapefruit trunk/whip completely surrounded by orange trunks/whips. In other words, a Tanuki bonsai using a live centre. Would there be complications of any sort?

My question was apparently too advanced. I know it’s out of the ordinary but I was hoping someone would have some experience even it were unintentional or unplanned. But where should I send my question? Any ideas? It’s an experimental topic but I don’t think I should just send out a barrage question to professionals such as Walter Pall, Graham Potter, Tony Tickle, etc. Hmmm, Nigel Saunders is as bit of a maverick maybe I should contact him. Does anyone know if he respond to questions? :dry:

Last edit: Post by Oyster Sauce.

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79097

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
What questions did you not get an answer to in my post?

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79098

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Actually, none. I don't really think you read my post/questions, to be honest. :(

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79099

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The result would be a trunk fusion bonsai.

No it is not advanced.

If the species used is possible to graft to each otheres, there are no other complications involved than in grafting.

By the way....If you answer to my question on what question I did not answer is none.....Actually you are telling me I answered all your questions.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79100

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

....If you answer to my question on what question I did not answer is none.....Actually you are telling me I answered all your questions.

My reply previous to this one was crude, my apologies, but I'm not going to play this game so try to be serious and stick to bonsai, please.

The result would be a trunk fusion bonsai.

Not in the every day sense it isn't. This project is unique (if I can be so bold and use that expression and open myself to yet another unwanted lesson on English grammer/definitions) because the centre trunk (the whole tree for that matter) isn't exposed.

No it is not advanced.

I disagree if for no other reason than the fact that it hasn't been discussed anywhere that I've ever seen.

If the species used is possible to graft to each otheres, there are no other complications involved than in grafting.

That's not he issue. Your first reply was "it will work". What will work? Will it (they) survive and grow? Of course they will! It's the results of it growing and surviving that is the question and the basis for the project itself..

2 POSSIBILITIES, just for starters:

1). Is it possible for the centre trunk (grapefruit in this case) to fatten in such a "dominant" fashion that it can create "lenticels"? (I'm using quotation points so please, not another lesson, OK?)

2). Can or will branches of the grapefruit push through the bark of the orange leaving you with an orange trunk with emerging grapefruit foliage, blossoms, and fruit?

There are several other questions but these are the initial ones.

Ps. English is not my mother tongue and I am sure that if you were compelled to speak my language you would appreciate an ounce of tolerance. Can we agree on that? Thank you.

Last edit: Post by Oyster Sauce.

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79101

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ok, lets face it. None of us have english as mother tounge. I thought I knew what you asked for. But appearantly not. Now I am confused. Answering questions with other questions is normally considered rude. But I have nothing to loose as this is how you interpretated my answer already and I am that kind of need to undersand Guy.

What is the difference between the project you describe and a trunk fusion? Is trunk fusion not what you want to achieve?

What do you mean with none of the tree is exposed?

Yes, I understand that it is not possible to explain without using definitions. But when you talk to me definitions is not unwanted. It is the very base of understanding.

I am so sorry if I have hurt feelings, that were never my intention and I apologies for that.

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79102

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I’ve explained the basics for the experiment twice but you react as though you never read it even once. I can see that your focus is on something other than bonsai so I’ll take it someplace else. Thanks anyway.

Quirky Tanuki 1 year 3 months ago #79103

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Ohh, I did read several times. I thought I knew what you mean, but clearly I didn't. Well, it may be due to both of us lack of good enough english.

Sorry about the missunderstanding. Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.
  • Page: