Bonsai forum

Pre Bonsai

• rtmitchell15
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pre Bonsai was created by rtmitchell15

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24036
I was hoping I could get some clarification on pre bonsai technique. I've done massive research, and can't seem to find a clear explanation on branches during the pre bonsai phase. I have a very young Japanese mountain maple that I will grow in a pot for the foreseeable future to develop the trunk and nebari. I've located a couple sacrifice branches. It has several thicker branches as well (keep in mind this tree is maybe a year old. Thickness of the trunk is 1/4-1/2"). I also have a general idea of the ultimate height of the tree for bonsai.
Regarding the branches, is it best to let the tree completely grow during the pre bonsai phase, while keeping it pruned at the desired height, and keeping the branches I want to become part of the bonsai design pruned/wired into shape? Is it best, while focusing on the roots/nebari, to let sacrifice branches grow, while keeping all other branches removed.? Then once I am happy with the outcome of roots/nebari, start the development of the branches/canopy? Probably a combination of identifying branches this early in the trees life that will be a part of the bonsai design, while keeping those that won't be removed, and keeping/removing new growth as I see fit?
Any input on what some common practices are at this stage in tree development would be greatly appreciated!
by rtmitchell15

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Pre Bonsai

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24038
This plant needs to be in the ground. You have to grow the trunk first then the branches. Keeping it in a pot will slow the growth and trunk thickness. All branches are "sacrifice" until the trunk is the desired thickness. That is 4-5 years in the ground 7-10 in a pot.
Last Edit:7 years 8 months ago by m5eaygeoff
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by m5eaygeoff.

• brkirkland22
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 128

Replied by brkirkland22 on topic Pre Bonsai

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24057
Start from the ground up! :cheer:

Roots: You'll need to plant it in the ground or large container, as stated already. Good strong roots are key to a living tree.
Trunk: Let it grow tall, basically unchecked, until desired thickness is achieved. Select an area you want the next stage of trunk to grow (preferably near a node/branch), cut, & grow it out again. The main trunk, & subsequent sections, won't thicken up significantly until the leader catches up in size. Repeat cuts & growth until trunk is how you like it (years years years).
NOTE: Allow some branches to grow around your trunk, as they will assist in thickening, but prune them back before they get very large (which create large scars). The main leader should be allowed to grow unchecked.
Branches: Now you start to allow young branches to grow out. Keep the ones you want, prune the rest. Let the primary branches grow, like the trunk & same method) until desired thickness. You can do some basic wiring at this point for shape before they get too thick. After time, prune back, & start secondary, then tertiary, ramification, etc.

Years & years, my friend.
Last Edit:7 years 8 months ago by brkirkland22
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by brkirkland22.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Todgeboy

• rtmitchell15
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by rtmitchell15 on topic Pre Bonsai

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24068
Thanks! I have attached a photo of the tree. As it is now, it sits about 2-2.5' tall, which is ideal for what I envision for it. The trunk is thin enough now to start manipulation by wiring, which I may begin this weekend. I plan to keep it in its current pot until very early spring next year, then I will move to a bigger pot to support root growth.

brkirkland22 wrote: Start from the ground up! :cheer:
Trunk: Let it grow tall, basically unchecked, until desired thickness is achieved. Select an area you want the next stage of trunk to grow (preferably near a node/branch), cut, & grow it out again. The main trunk, & subsequent sections, won't thicken up significantly until the leader catches up in size. Repeat cuts & growth until trunk is how you like it (years years years).

Because the tree is at a height I am happy with, you are saying to let the main trunk leader grow out, then prune back to desired height, rinse and repeat until trunk thickness is where I want it to be?

by rtmitchell15

• rtmitchell15
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24070
Apparently, attaching a photo file from a computer isn't as easy as it seems...
by rtmitchell15

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Pre Bonsai

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24073

rtmitchell15 wrote: Apparently, attaching a photo file from a computer isn't as easy as it seems...

It is as easy as it seems. Add file, browse, select... just make sure it isn't too big.
by Auk

• rtmitchell15
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24077
Best I could do at the moment was make the picture my Avatar. File I have of the picture is too big.
by rtmitchell15

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24078

rtmitchell15 wrote: File I have of the picture is too big.

Then resize it!!
by Auk

• rtmitchell15
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24079
Try this.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by rtmitchell15

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 8 months ago #24080

rtmitchell15 wrote: Try this.

Plant it in your garden and forget it the next couple of years.
by Auk