• Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Puzzle Trident was created by Felidae

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50706
Hey :)
Just got this a short time ago.
Have some interesting things going on, which excludes it on it’s current form as quality material. I wondering what could happened with it.
Maybe some of you already saw similar things going on.

I know I rarely get responses for these types of topics.. I give a try...

Looks like the bark get cutted on a circular fashion and healed over? 3 times. But why??

Middle
This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Original:

Yesterday, after thinning it out:

Cream on the cake.. The lower branch looks like a star nosed mole from the front view.
Yeah, I know I’ve got continuously bad trees, but seems like I have a problem (messiah complex?). I want to fix them, or save them, or whatever...
by Felidae

This message has attachments images.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Puzzle Trident

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50708
Seems like someone tried to do an airlayer ?
by lucR
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Puzzle Trident

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50710
If you consider this a bad tree.. I will swap you my pine for this trident, although I should reduce the collection and just sell you the pine.
This looks like a tree with good taper. I would be tempted to remove all branches and start the tree completely from scratch again though :). I do not have the 3D view that you have there though.

The line is what you get when you have a wire covered partially by bark I would think. When you pull it out you wound it again, or as luc punted out, when you have a narrow airlayer site that has taken a bit of time to heal.

My guess would be that when the tree develops further and starts to age & the bark starts peeling, it will become less obvisous
by leatherback

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50711
In yur defoliation you defoliated the lowest branch too. Next time, leave it alone. It is fairly bare and too thin for the rest of the branches: It needs a good amount of growth. You have just weakened it compared to the rest of the upper canopy, instead of the reverse, which is what you would need..
by leatherback

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Puzzle Trident

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50717
I.am with lb on this one, looks like a wire ring was left circling the trunk and got embedded in. When it was taken off it was already too late...
Last Edit:4 years 10 months ago by Clicio
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Clicio.

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

Replied by lucR on topic Puzzle Trident

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50718

Clicio wrote: I.am with lb on this one, looks like a wire ring was left circling the trunk and got embedded in. .

yeah yeah, team up against the new guy , nice :) :)
by lucR

• Felidae
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Felidae on topic Puzzle Trident

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50725

lucR wrote: Seems like someone tried to do an airlayer ?

Thanks Luc :) Got in my mind also, but the upper ring don’t make sense to me as layer.

leatherback wrote: If you consider this a bad tree..

Thanks Jelle ^^ Oki, oki.. Not bad, bad.. But problematic with those scars.

I will swap you my pine for this trident, although I should reduce the collection and just sell you the pine.

Yasss!!!! ^^ Please send me your account details and final price before you change your mind : D

This looks like a tree with good taper. I would be tempted to remove all branches and start the tree completely from scratch again though :). I do not have the 3D view that you have there though.

I can make a 360 vid, but I think we’ll see much better after fall. I’ll keep in my mind : )

The line is what you get when you have a wire covered partially by bark I would think. When you pull it out you wound it again, or as luc punted out, when you have a narrow airlayer site that has taken a bit of time to heal.

The scars are completely circular around the trunk, but definitely looks cut or wirecut. I thought first they try to do torquinette layering, but the upper one, just above the canopy don’t make any sense like air layer site.

My guess would be that when the tree develops further and starts to age & the bark starts peeling, it will become less obvisous

I Cross my fingers for... I believe currently that’s my oldest tree : )

leatherback wrote: In yur defoliation you defoliated the lowest branch too. Next time, leave it alone. It is fairly bare and too thin for the rest of the branches: It needs a good amount of growth. You have just weakened it compared to the rest of the upper canopy, instead of the reverse, which is what you would need..

Oups.. My bad... Thank you, next time I’ll watch for this.
The only thing in my mind that I need a bud closer to the trunk on that branch.. I give it a reason to make it... X)
The canopy I did more. I think it was in the shade for a while, cause the stems was minimum 20 cm.

Clicio wrote: I.am with lb on this one, looks like a wire ring was left circling the trunk and got embedded in. When it was taken off it was already too late...

Thank you, Clicio : )
Could be, but the scars are completely circular. Guy wires maybe? :unsure:

lucR wrote:

Clicio wrote: I.am with lb on this one, looks like a wire ring was left circling the trunk and got embedded in. .

yeah yeah, team up against the new guy , nice :) :)

:lol:
Last Edit:4 years 10 months ago by Felidae
Last edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Felidae.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Puzzle Trident

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50731

Felidae wrote: Could be, but the scars are completely circular. Guy wires maybe? :unsure:

Yeah, I don't know. I got to see a tree the other day where the guy had left a circular ring of thick wire on the trunk, not low, in the middle of the bare trunk, and when I asked the reason he told me he was "trying to thicken the trunk".
Not a ground layer, so I thought he either had heard some new technique, or he had got it all wrong.
I guess it can happen.
by Clicio

• Felidae
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Felidae on topic Puzzle Trident

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50732

Clicio wrote:

Felidae wrote: Could be, but the scars are completely circular. Guy wires maybe? :unsure:

Yeah, I don't know. I got to see a tree the other day where the guy had left a circular ring of thick wire on the trunk, not low, in the middle of the bare trunk, and when I asked the reason he told me he was "trying to thicken the trunk".
Not a ground layer, so I thought he either had heard some new technique, or he had got it all wrong.
I guess it can happen.

That’s it!! Thank you Clicio, that explanation fits perfectly... ^^ All of the other scenarios are against logic.
I don’t know if it works tho.. Never heard about this technique before.
by Felidae

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 4 years 10 months ago #50735

Felidae wrote: Yasss!!!! ^^ Please send me your account details and final price before you change your mind : D

Did you see your phone today?

by leatherback