Bonsai forum

Quiz: What's this quote about?

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Quiz: What's this quote about?

Posted 8 years 3 months ago #18697

Auk wrote: Correct. The person you are referring to is Walter Pall.

The original text is here:
walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.nl/2015_09_01_archive.html

Note it is not the view of the writer, he summarizes "the views expressed in opposition to naturalism in bonsai"

It made me think. I would with no doubt trade my complete collection, if I could choose one of Walter Pall's trees.
I can only hope to ever reach his level. If people really think the naturalistic style is invented by people "too lazy to take the time and dedicate the enormous effort necessary to produce genuine bonsai" and compare it with my own efforts, I get quite discouraged - as the examples of such trees I've seen are still much better than mine. Also, it makes me wonder "who am I to criticize others"...

And with that, you have reached the state of mind needed to become a teacher to others. :P Treading with respect towards to other persons' knownledge and abilities, or absence of them.

--

I personally would say that if people are unable to do something, they reject that something fairly easily. I have seen Walters trees (Yesterday at Noelanders again, actually, also met Walter there, but also in his garden). They have a completely different vibe than the japanese styled trees. At Noelanders I noticed a few trees styled in a more natural way; I think it becomming more accepted.

The one thing I think is pushing the discussion you refer to, is the age at which these naturalistic trees are displayed. When I see them, I often feel that they are not ready for show yet. Big open cuts, long, young shoots i the canopy, ramnification just a evel off the density required to be convincing.. Basically, lack of time to mature. And that time component is, in my view, very important. The time required to heal big cuts, create taper in branches, and get branches to produce old bark lies in decades. I frequently wonder.. Why did the owner not wait another 3-5 years before putting that good tree in an exhibition. It would have created a much more mature tree. And that is where I find the typical Japanese -deciduous- bonsai often have a step ahead. This may also be because the more traditional trees are created by bonsai lovers in their backyard, over the course of 20 years, and the more modern styles are pushed by a few professionals who need their name out there?

That being said.. Yesterday at Noelanders I realized that several of the trees that I saw and thought: That is a great tree, perfect detail.. The tree was a japan import. Maybe in Europe we are too lazy, too focussed on getting a tree in an exhibit, to give it the time needed to mature? And considering Walter has been pushing this style for maybe one decade, means that his trees are even less refined than the normal japanese style?

The latter however, is a matter of time, and not styling. Getting a tree into exhibit quickly happens in all styles. And those of you who have been to noelanders, and have picked up on a certain Beech, know what I mean.
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auk, alainleon1983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.