Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51322

• xNikkix
  • xNikkix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I have a problem with my Bonsai (Chinese Elm)
- After some time of the purchase the soil went extreme dry and hard, I never forgot watering and the soil didn't became soft again so I repotted the tree because I thought the soil is old and out of nutritions and the Bonsai looked more and more bad
- Bonsai was fine for some time and got leaves again, then they fell off again but the soil is still soft and I water the tree as soon as the soil is nearly completely dry (3-4days), Bonsai stands in the window so it gets enough light and air - maybe I water it too much still? I scratched some of the bark and the tree is underneath still green - so not completely dead?
- new Bonsai is growing out of the pot of the old one, I don't know how since I didn't put a seed in there but I really want to keep it alive
- boyfriend saw little white worm in pot, I just saw it for a few seconds and could barely see it, after some research it looked more like a pot worm, didn't find any more in the pot or soil and gave up the search. There is also no flies around my Bonsai so I doubt that it is fungus gnats but my plant also seems like dying so I'm not sure. But there is quite many white very small stone or crystal like things in the soil (see picture, I put some of them on the blue pot corner). That may be salt?

So my questions are
- should I repot the old tree again? I use normal potting soil and Akadama, should I get something else to help it recover?
- can I repot the new Bonsai in another pot without hurting the roots and destroying it?
- what are these white/beige corns/crystal like things?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by xNikkix.

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51323

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Your tree looks dead. Soil looks very wet (from the photo) so you may have overwatered it.
Problem started when you let the original soil dry out. This type of soil turns into something that looks like brick which does not hold water anymore. This most have harmed the roots.

That seedling is not a bonsai, but... a seedling. You can try to carefully plant it in another pot. Looks like an elm, so could have come from a seed that was in the pot. I don't think it's part of the old tree.

The crystals are just sand.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51327

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
You have killed it because it was indoors...

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51332

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You have killed it because it was indoors...

I'm pretty sure this time that was not the cause.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51366

• xNikkix
It was praised as indoors, when I bought it. So I kept it inside

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51367

• xNikkix
The soil is wet because I just watered it before I took the picture. Is it not supposed to be THAT wet? I pure some water over it and let it rinse through the holes in the pot and then let it get quite dry till I water it again. Don't know it the amount then was maybe too much?

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51374

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Having your soil wet is not per se a problem.
In your case, as Auk said, the initial drying out of the soil is probably what caused the demise. The soil that many of these small plants are shipped in, is of poor quality.

This tree is dead. The young plant coming up could come from a root that is still alive. But could also just be a weed.

Practice your patience and wait. See what it turns into.

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51422

• xNikkix

The soil that many of these small plants are shipped in, is of poor quality.

This tree is dead. The young plant coming up could come from a root that is still alive. But could also just be a weed.

Practice your patience and wait. See what it turns into.

That's quite sad since I repotted it shortly after I got it in new bought soil. But as I wrote only in normal potting soil you can buy everywhere and mixed it with Akadama. Maybe that was the problem and I need to order proper Bonsai Soil? The tree shortly lived up before it fell again.

Should I repot the little -maybe weed- or let it in the pot with the dead bonsai till it turns out if it's not just a weed? I don't know if it's risky to repot it now when it's so young, but also if it's not bad when it's in the same pot with a dead plant?

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51423

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Maybe that was the problem and I need to order proper Bonsai Soil?

You wrote:
"After some time of the purchase the soil went extreme dry and hard, I never forgot watering and the soil didn't became soft again so I repotted the tree"

so the problem clearly started BEFORE you repotted.

New Bonsai coming out of old Bonsais pot and worms 4 years 8 months ago #51426

• xNikkix

Maybe that was the problem and I need to order proper Bonsai Soil?

You wrote:
"After some time of the purchase the soil went extreme dry and hard, I never forgot watering and the soil didn't became soft again so I repotted the tree"

so the problem clearly started BEFORE you repotted.

Yes the soil got hard even with watering and the tree started to get more and more bad, but as I also wrote, after I repotted the tree it lived up again and it was fine for some time. So I thought it was good again and I saved it. When it got worse again now that's why I thought that the soil must be wrong then in general. I didn't expect it to be an aftermatch of the very thing when it started.

• Page: