Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51353

• Saraha.wooden
  • Saraha.wooden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
My fiance got me this Bonsai and I'm slowly killing it and I'm not sure why. When he gave it to me it was inside and it was growing but then it slowly started dying so I assumed it was because I was keeping it inside and also I probably wasn't watering it correctly though I was watering it. I watered it thoroughly and put it outside but it just seems to be getting worse the potting soil that's in it came with the plant but I bought other soil if I needed to repot it. Can I save this plant I don't know what rot looks like, I'm having a hard time finding the information I need for the plant or identifying things. Help me please. I've done a lot of my own research I even bought a book but at this point I need some direct help because I don't think it has much time if it does it all. Please see pictures

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51354

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
Sorry to say but this was not a bonsai, but it is a very dead young juniper plant, and you killed it by placing it inside

Last edit: Post by lucR.

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51355

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Can I save this plant

No. It's dead. It has actually been dead for quite some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Saraha.wooden

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51359

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Hey Saraha, welcome.
It was a nice little juniper, but unfortunately it's been dead for weeks, sorry.
If you buy a replacement, keep it outdoors.
The soil you have purchased is adequate, but repot it only in the Spring (the new one, I mean..)

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51369

• Saraha.wooden

Sorry to say but this was not a bonsai, but it is a very dead young juniper plant, and you killed it by placing it inside

Thank you. However, how was it not a bonsai? And unfortunately, I was given no instructions when it was gifted to me. I wish I had researched it sooner

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51370

• Saraha.wooden

Hey Saraha, welcome.
It was a nice little juniper, but unfortunately it's been dead for weeks, sorry.
If you buy a replacement, keep it outdoors.
The soil you have purchased is adequate, but repot it only in the Spring (the new one, I mean..)

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering; The person who have me one also gave one to his mother and hers has been living in her bathroom with new growth. It is sitting in a window with filtered light. Also It is much smaller. How is hers doing so well inside? I've read and also by your suggestion that junipers should be outside so i was so confused at what i should do when i had it. She was three reason why i kept mine inside so long. Hers is below

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51375

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Thank you. However, how was it not a bonsai? And unfortunately, I was given no instructions when it was gifted to me. I wish I had researched it sooner

Hey Saraha, For it to be a bonsai it has to meet certain criteria. Unfortunately, what we see it that commerce has taken a run with the term, and uses it to get a better price on what basically are young plants in a pot. And although bonsai can be translated to " tree in pot" that does not mean that all trees in pots are bonsai, if you know what I mean. If you are interested, I tried to explain it in a post a while back: www.growingbonsai.net/why-is-my-tree-not-a-bonsai/

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51376

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Thank you for your reply. I was wondering; The person who have me one also gave one to his mother and hers has been living in her bathroom with new growth. It is sitting in a window with filtered light. Also It is much smaller. How is hers doing so well inside? I've read and also by your suggestion that junipers should be outside so i was so confused at what i should do when i had it. She was three reason why i kept mine inside so long. Hers is below

Although Junipers are quite hardy and resistant to a lot of mall-treatment, they are very vulnerable to their roots, and especially wet roots. In dense saturated wet soil you can kill a juniper in a very short time. Unfortunately, often they do not show that they have problems untill past the point that they started dying. My best guess is that your friend has a green thumb, and intuitively knows how to water properly.

As for hers still being alive.. I would venture a guess and think it will not be doing so great again after winter. It is now in a dark location, without direct sunlight. The air is moist in a bathroom without heating. So the air is fine, but the tree is not building up sugars for winter. When in winter the heating goes on, and the plant is still in the dark it will decline faster. In spring it might not have enough left to start again. That being said.. I have seen people keep junipers alive for several years indoors. But those are the exceptions.

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51380

• Saraha.wooden

Hey Saraha, For it to be a bonsai it has to meet certain criteria. Unfortunately, what we see it that commerce has taken a run with the term, and uses it to get a better price on what basically are young plants in a pot. And although bonsai can be translated to " tree in pot" that does not mean that all trees in pots are bonsai, if you know what I mean. If you are interested, I tried to explain it in a post a while back: www.growingbonsai.net/why-is-my-tree-not-a-bonsai/

I'd like to talk more about this with you though i understand to a serious bonsai growing/competing community that it can be annoying when the word gets thrown around loosely. However, the seller of this plant had grown it,she said, for 20 years before I killed it. :/
I feel like a lot of what I understood bonsai to be was in the link you showed me and thought applied to mine as well. Maybe if there were more pictures that expressed what qualities are not bonsai would help ...also my tree looked completely different 2 weeks ago. A lot of the needles fell off.

I'm confused if you are saying the species i had is not able to be a bonsai or that it hasn't been groomed to be a true bonsai and thus isn't one.

I'd have left you a private message but i can't send messages for a few weeks

Bonsai is dying 4 years 8 months ago #51381

• Saraha.wooden
I've looked into mallsai, i guess you mean my juniper is a mallsai?

• Page: