Bonsai forum

Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question)

• Hobbes1
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question) was created by Hobbes1

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64793
Hello. I recently received a bonsai tree as a gift and I'd like to train it in a certain way, if possible. I am completely new to bonsai and am reading a book on it as well as checking sources online.

When I got the tree, it was from a local nursery. Nearly all of the leaves fell off in the first couple days I had it, as it was stored out of sight for a few days to avoid ruining the surprise. Now, I have found a place inside that the tree seems to like and it is rapidly putting out new leaves (see attached picture).

My question: when should I feel safe in beginning to wire this tree? My goal would be, if possible, to have a strong, central trunk structure with little/no leaves branches until at least halfway up the tree. Then, have it trained to have a large grouping of branches and leaves at the upper portion of the tree. See the last two pictures, attached. I'm not sure if I should be wiring two or three of my tree branches/trunks together to try to form one larger trunk or if I need to prune back on branches to allow only one trunk to carry on. If pruning is the way, when would be the best time?

Thank you for any constructive advice. Cheers!
by Hobbes1

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Hobbes1
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Hobbes1 on topic Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question)

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64794
This is another photo of my tree. I tried to edit the original, but I got a 403 Forbidden error code.
This image is hidden for guests.
Last Edit:3 years 3 months ago by Hobbes1

This message has an attachment image.

Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Hobbes1.

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question)

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64800
Spend a few years just trying to get it to survive. If you make it, now you can strat looking into styling, wiering and prunning.

Hint: pomengranades needs cold dormancy.
by Tropfrog

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question)

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64806
I wire my pomegranate in fall as the leaves are turning for winter and starting to drop. And again when it is growing well in mid-spring and/or summer. So 2, 3 times a year I correct individual branches. I find them too brittle to wire in winter.

This is a mediteranean species which likes lots of light and really should get a few months of cool weather. Be carefull, although some pomes might take -10, -20c, others are only barely frost resistent, it seems.

Mind are all in an unheated shed when there is frost.
by leatherback

• Hobbes1
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by Hobbes1 on topic Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question)

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64824
Thank you for the replies.
I was thinking it might be good to begin wiring in the next few weeks as the tree seems to be doing quite well. I don't know if I'm going to put it outside, ever. It may just be an indoors tree.
by Hobbes1

• BofhSkull
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 121

Replied by BofhSkull on topic Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question)

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64825
There is no such thing as an indoor tree.
Keep it indoor, and it will inevitably die, as the good climate for you is a bad climate for the plant.
The decision should be between keeping it outdoors all the time or move it to a shelter or a cold frame during winter.
“Indoor” is simply not an option.
by BofhSkull

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Tropfrog on topic Pomegranate tree: when is it safe to wire? (Newbie question)

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64827
This is not a perfectly healthy tree and it is far to young to wire. Such activity by a beginner may harm it. The tree needs a cold but frost free dormancy.

Bonsai is a marathon not a sprint. Take your time to get the tree healthy before first work.
Last Edit:3 years 3 months ago by Tropfrog
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Tropfrog.

• Hobbes1
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64829
Ok. Thank you.
Should I be looking to prune this tree at some point during the coming year or just leave it completely alone save for water and sun? I just haven't seen a lot of information about when exactly it's safe to begin on a tree like this. How do I judge that?
by Hobbes1

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64831
It is safe to prune the tree when you have learned how to take care of it and made it healthy and happiliy growing for a full growing season. Never prune a weak tree.

Design wise, it is better to let it grow free until trunk diameter is at least 10 % of the planned final hight.

Right now your concern is cold dormancy and good growing next summer.
by Tropfrog

• Hobbes1
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 3 years 3 months ago #64834
Ok, thank you.
Are you recommending that I should put the tree outside now, in the US winter. Protecting from frost but letting it get cold.?
by Hobbes1