Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76323

• PaEmer
  • PaEmer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Is it normal to have these dots and eaten leaves? Should I take action and if so what should I do?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76325

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
General advice is to not use pesticide unless you have identified the pest and use the poison targeted to that pest.

My advice is, never use pesticide ever. Instead identify why the plant gets pests. A healthy tree never have problem with pests. They do get it from time to time but it never gets to infestation problems.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PaEmer

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76327

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
I don't see any trouble on the tree on this topic at this point. Seems like a healthy tree with a few old leaves.
And I do agree with Tropfrog about keeping your tree healthy to avoid any issue with an eventual attack.
I do spray copper sulfate on my trees once in a while, it helps to control/avoid fungal diseases and promote plant health.

A healthy tree never have problem with pests. They do get it from time to time but it never gets to infestation problems.

I just wanted to point out that I already had infestation cases on very healthy trees that I had to act, of course, healthy trees won't suffer much as unhealthy trees, and it may overcome, but why would I let it weaken anyways? As I live in Brazil, I believe I'm subjected to many insects most people don't, and sometimes the same well known ones, but on swarms... It's not usuall, but it happens.

I already saw leaf-cutter ants completelly defoliate a small tree in a single day, it survived, but not only because of it's health...

So I wouldn't say never...

Last edit: Post by Albas.

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76329

• Albas
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 291
Please don't take me wrong Tropfrog, don't want to make a fuzz or anything... hahahha

I try at max not to use any pesticide these days, focusing on avoidance...

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76332

• PaEmer
  • PaEmer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
So after more looking I found three of these bugs on the tree. Is this something I should worry about? I live in the northeast us and I don't know if these are common here

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by PaEmer.

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76333

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I cannot comment on us fauna, dont know much about it.

But I am sure 3 small insects is not an infestation. If you are worried just remove them.

My trees are full of all different insects and spiders. That is a sign not only the tree is healthy but also that the ban of the most visious pesticides in agriculture has worked. Most of them still legal in USA. Some 20 years ago we did not have much insects around, but the population has recovered.

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76334

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I already saw leaf-cutter ants completelly defoliate a small tree in a single day, it survived, but not only because of it's health...

So I wouldn't say never...

Leaf cutting ants, saves the artists time spent on defoliation :)

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76336

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
You basically have three options.

1. Let the bugs grow and do their thing. They may be a sign of a healthy tree, and they may be a sign of a tree that used to be healthy and is now about to die.

2. Remove the bugs manually and/or block them physically. This will take a lot of time. A severely infected branch may have to be removed. You can't block flying bugs.

3. Chemicals. Depending on the pest there may be a specific natural chemical that is fairly natural. There may not.

Case in point: I have a pear tree. Several weeks ago the new growth was covered with aphids. I scraped most of them off. Next day, repeat. Next day pinch off the new growth. Three days later the new new growth was covered with aphids. I sprinkled the aphid killer on the soil, and two days later they were gone.

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76338

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
That is indeed a cultural difference. In Europe most gardeners and plant enthusiasts stay away from all use of poisons. I dont know one European bonsai artist that use pesticides. In USA it seems to be much more used. Even pesticides that are harmful and cancerogenic to humans and prohibited In EU is sold for use in bedrooms to fight bed bugs.

Pesticide 1 year 11 months ago #76339

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In this case we are talking about a healthy tree with 3 unidentified bugs on it. I think most people would say pesticides is not needed.

• Page: