Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #448

• morpheus83uk
  • morpheus83uk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello,

I have noticed that my bonsai has started to produce some dead leaves! I have not changed anything and I am watering as and when it needs and it has not moved in position. The only thing which has changed is the weather as its got really hot outside and its in a windowsill. It does get fresh air but I am unsure as to why the leaves are dying.

Any help would be greatly apreciated as I dont want my first little Bonsai to die.

Many Thanks

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #452

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
Which bonsai is it, and maybe post a picture?

It could be, when it's getting warmer that the humidity is too low, you can fix that for example to put a dish with water under the tree. If you've that already, maybe but I don't know that for sure, that the leaves burn by the sunlight through the window.

With posting a picture I hope it will clear this problem :)

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #453

• morpheus83uk
Hello,

Thanks for the post.

I have attatched a picture of my poorly lil Bonsai. I have moved it away from the windowsill now in light of what you have said so hopefully it wlll be better soon :) If its not that could you please let me know what I can do I will also put some wayer into the tray under it with the humidity :)

Many Thanks

James

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #454

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
But remind the bonsai needs sunlight to survive too!

If I see the picture, there is definitely something wrong with it, but it looks like it is sick, not because the sunlight is too harsh or something.

What is that white stuff around the trunk of the tree? Aren't that moulds? :dry:

Did you've buyed this at a garden centre or something? These trees are often placed in clay soil because they need to be imported from far away so they put it in this bad soil where they can survive long when they get imported. If you haven't replaced the soil the problem could be that.

Normally you wouldn't let trees which are sick repot, but if it is the soil, I would place it in good soil, but not remove any of the roots!

The tree is really looking bad now, I hope it's not too late!

Greetings,

Youri

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #455

• morpheus83uk
It does however should I keep it out of the sunlight for now while I change the soil? I have added some water to the tray below it to see if thats helps too while I am at work.

Possibly but I dont know how to tell it goes around the entire thing so I dunno if its supposed to be there or not :S

Well my girlfriend did yeah.

What would I do when I put the new soil in? give it a good water?

I will do this tomorrow when I return from work and hopefully my little tree will come back :)

Many Thanks

James

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #460

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi James,

I am offering my two cents worth based on my experience with plants in general as I'm new to the art of Bonsai. I would definitely change the soil, as Youri suggested, and use the proper medium for Bonsai trees...check the main menu under "grow" and "care"...for info on the proper soil/gravel. There's also a video on repotting.

I would also be inclined to want to take a soft, wet toothbrush and brush away that mold *before* taking it out of the pot so the mold spores do not get into the roots. Once the worst of the mold is removed, I would clean the toothbrush well with soap and water & rinse. Then apply a mild solution of dish detergent and water with the brush to gently remove any remaining mold. OR....

*Instead* of using the detergent solution, there is a 100% natural, non-toxic spray for mould control called "Concrobium"~3 in 1 which kills, cleans and prevents mold. It is completely safe for humans and pets and can even be used safely on mattresses and pillows. After the mold has been thoroughly & gently cleaned away with a soft toothbrush, then I would repot it...in fact I would spray the whole plant, roots and all with the "Concrobium" to prevent any further infection. What's the risk? Your plant is very sick! I wish you all the best. Please keep us posted.

Leslie

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #461

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7
Hi again,
I didn't clarify very well...should you decide to use the Concrobium spray, give the infected area a good spray with this before you start brushing and cleaning away the mold. Remember that mold spores are invisible and float around in the air potentially infecting other plants...and it's not good for you either. ;)
Leslie

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #466

• morpheus83uk
Hi,

Thanks for your post!

Soon as I am home from work I will grab a toothbrush and remove that mould and I have some soil at home which should be ok for it as apparently it is good for Bamboo as well. So I will use some of that to get it out of the bad soil.

I will hopefully get my little plant happy again.

Once I have repotted it is there anything I need to do such as give it a good watering?

Many Thanks

James

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #468

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Yes give it a good water, and wait till it recovers. Don't do anything just watering so the tree can recover well and I hope he will be back up again :)

Re: Dead Leaves 12 years 8 months ago #470

• morpheus83uk
Hi,

Thats great thanks for that.

So tonight I am going to:

Get the mould off the trunk with a toothbrush and some warm water

Wash the toothbrush and then use a warm soapy water on my toothbrush

Remove from the pot

Wash the pot (Just so I know its clean with warm water and does not have any of the old soil in it.)

Put the tree back in and give it a good water

Place back in its usual place on the windowsill?

Then just water when required as I did before and then wait for my little tree to recover?

Am I correct? If so I will get it sorted tonight and let you know how I get on with it all.

Many Thanks

James