Bonsai forum

giant sequoia bonsai

• bonsaiboy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

giant sequoia bonsai was created by bonsaiboy

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #667
Hello: I have a 5yr old giant sequoia 42" tall in a large pot. Aside from Craig Coussins article there is very little information on how to bonsai these trees. I understand they can be a bit temperamental with moisture and all. Any information would be greatly appreaciated. I am not a beginner but no means am I an expert.

Thank you
Bonsaiboy
by bonsaiboy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 7

Replied by Leslie on topic Re: giant sequoia bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #668
Hi bonsaiboy,

It's nice to meet you. I'm very new to Bonsai so I don't have any advice to share however, I just wanted to say "hi" and ask if might have a photo or three to share with us.

Leslie
by Leslie

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Re: giant sequoia bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #669
Hi Bonsai Boy,

I have no experience with Sequoia. But I do realize these are plants that are indeed somewhat temperamentfull. You may want to check with the owners of the sequoia website; they have an article on how they grow bonsai out of them:

www.giant-sequoia.com/about-us/large-bonsai-training-table/

J.
by leatherback

• bonsaiboy
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by bonsaiboy on topic Re: giant sequoia bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #670
Thanks for your replies. Attached is a photo of the 5-year-old 42" giant sequoia.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
by bonsaiboy

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #674
Hi bonsaiboy,

Thanks for posting the photo. That's a very healthy looking tree you have! I checked out the link J shared and...wow! What a fascinating tree! How cool is that!?! :cheer: Lots of good info and photos on how to Bonsai the Sequoia. Hope it helps! Please keep us posted of how you make out with the progression...and more photos too! Thanks for sharing!

Lesie
by Leslie

• Youri1995
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

Replied by Youri1995 on topic Re: giant sequoia bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #681
You can make bonsai out of sequoia trees, however it are not the easiest species to care. Firstly I would shorten the tree and prune it a bit to see the movement of the tree, selecting some branches you need and some you don't need, then you would probably see more how to make something out of this material ;)
by Youri1995

• manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 193

Replied by manofthetrees on topic Re: giant sequoia bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #698
howdy b.b.,

well first thing first ...i want one ,i want one!!!! i want one :silly: :blink: :pinch: :P second you will have a bonsai as soon as you put it in a pot (bonsai is "tree in pot" ). if you have access to some kind of decomposed pine bark, use it as the basis of your soil medium,it retains water well and sequoia love to have damp feet. as for the tree, pick some braches that you know you don't want and expierament.you will need to wait a year after potting to do anything major anyway so play and watch
by manofthetrees

• bonsaiboy
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by bonsaiboy on topic Re: giant sequoia bonsai

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #707
I would like to thank everyone for their help but after doing some soul searching I have decided to wait and give the trunk more time to mature. Under Main Menu go to Articles then go to advanced articles and take a look at the pictures that Craig Coussins has of his Sequoia bonsai it's total mind blowing. It"s really killing me to wait but that's what growing bonsai's all about unless you purchase mature stock. I purchased a seedling that was one yr. old when I recieved it and they do grow fast but not quite as fast as I would like. I will work with my other pet garden bonsai a Dwarf Golden Coconut palm.

Thank you Bonsaiboy
by bonsaiboy

• Leslie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 12 years 9 months ago #710
Hi bonsaiboy,

Sounds like a wise decision to give the trunk more time to mature. Thank you for directions to the article/photos of Craig Coussins Sequoia Bonsai. Very impressive. I also checked out his website. Very moving story about his battle with cancer which creates a poignacey to his passion for working with living trees.

Would luv it if you could share photos and progressions of your other Bonsai trees while keeping us posted on your successes with your Sequoia! What a magnificent tree!!! Happy growing! :)

Leslie
by Leslie

• JMoney
  • Thanks received: 10

Replied by JMoney on topic Re: giant sequoia bonsai

Posted 10 years 8 months ago #9439
Whats the current status of this tree, if you don't mid me asking? Just wanted to see it 2 years later.
by JMoney