Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13304

• Bastet
  • Bastet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone.

I recently decided to take up growing bonsai trees as a hobby. I have absolutely no gardening, plant and especially bonsai experience whatsoever.

I ordered www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000ZUDW5K?p...i_detailpage_o03_s00

and decided to try one sachet of seeds as a test. With the weather being up and down in the UK, I opted for doing it all indoors.

The instructions said to plant the seeds and leave them somewhere warm but out of direct sunlight. I followed the sowing instructions and placed the potted seeds in a small vegetable bag from the supermarket and left it on the windowsill, behind closed, thick blinds - so they would get some light and warmth but not be in direct light.

It then said after 2-3 weeks to place the potted seeds into the fridge for a further 3-6 weeks.

However, by about day 9 of the first step, shoots have already come up. I'm not sure what they are because each sachet was mixed (Cedrus Atlantica, Cryptomeria Japonica, Pinus Excelsa, Pinus Roxburghii, Thuja Orientalis and Abies).

Now that they've sprouted, due I forgo the refridgerator stage (I thought that was to encourage the seeds to start shooting, but they already have) and remove them from the bag and leave them in the same location?

I figured, following the instructions, I would have 9 weeks to research the next steps and ordered a number of books. However, the little tikes have already started growing, before even finishing the first stage.

I just realised, whilst typing this, that the windowsill is above a radiator, which I totally forgot about, so they would have been receiving some heat on a morning when my parents had their heating on for a few hours.

Are these shoots salvageable or should I start again away from that location?

Thank you in advance.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13305

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I have to say, i really do feel sorry for you, first of all, bonsai seeds do not exist, tree seeds do. These guys make it very complicated i have to say to growsomething from seed. I am afraid, in my opinion, the seed kit is kinda a rip off. But thee are easier ways of making bonsi, like getting a garden nursery plant. I really would advise reading the care articles on this website first. Read about watering and feeding, repotting ect.

Last edit: Post by bob.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13306

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
What soil did you use?

Looking at the plants.. These are not seedlings from the plants you said were in the package, as far as I can tell. The plants ytou mentioned all have needles, and not tiny round leaves, even in the erarliest stages.

Putting the seeds in the fridge is to reduce the dormancy hormones in the seeds.

Best you put the container outside, keep moist, protect from swmapy-wet, protect from animals. Then come spring, they should germinate right in time for spring (Isn't nature great!?)

Just be aware that bonsai are not typically grown from seed. You have just started on a 25 year journey. Most people thake the 10 years shortcut, and buy 5-20 year old plants.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13307

• Bastet
It's coir compost discs in a coir pot.

I wanted something I could grow from scratch and look after for the years to come rather than buying one already shaped etc.

Last edit: Post by Bastet.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13308

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I wanted something I could grow from scratch and look after for the years to come rather than buying one already shaped etc.

Maybe I was not clear. When I say they buy a plant of 10-15 years old, this is what I am talking about: www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/general/7166-...deodara-to-be-bonsai

Growing trees frmo seed is not complex, but it is dificult if you do not know what you are doing, and it will take several years before you can 'do' something. But if you enjoy that, go ahead. Just consider gettiong some more mature trees to get experience in watering, repotting, wiring, winter-care, disease treatment etcetc.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13309

• Bastet
Thank you, I think I might do.

In the meantime, you think the ones in the pic might not be legit tree seeds? If so I'll be getting in touch with Amazon :-/.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13310

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No, I think you used soil with weed seed.

It COULD be Birch seed that I see hanging from the green leaves. But you should wait for the next set of leaves to be able to tell what it is.

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13311

• Bastet
It was just a disc of dried coir compost from the kit, added water and it expanded to the current size in the coir pot.

They do look like tiny little beautifulbonsaisecrets.com/bonsaicare/wp.../maple-seedlings.jpg

maybe my camera is just pants :P

Last edit: Post by Bastet.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13312

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

They do look like tiny little beautifulbonsaisecrets.com/bonsaicare/wp.../maple-seedlings.jpg

No they really do not. But as I said: Fait for the next leaves. As the first leaves are based on the seed, and do not have many characteristics of the species. Only needle vss non-needle is fairly clear at this stage.

Growing from seeds. 9 years 5 months ago #13313

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
I think when it comes to this and innocent willing buyers buy things to do with "bonsai", and get told that they are nothing to do with bonsai, it can hurt. We arent forcing you to do anything but merely suggesting, you can still grow seeds if you truly wish to (i dont blame you, it is fun ;) ). But in the mean time consider the fact you have a garden (if you have one) and think about what species you wish to grow. How about you get a nursery plant now, take care of it during winter, and collect tree seeds now or buy them making sure you know what species they are. Do not get "bonsa seeds" just get normal tree seeds. So you can get a nursery stock plant now and sew in spring or stratify in winter. But i think it would benifit if you read these pages from this very website.

www.bonsaiempire.com/basics

It would be good to know your county or state. This would help us to help you with your specific climate. Dont be worried to post any questions ;)

• Page: