Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12197

• ID@BONSAI
  • ID@BONSAI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I received a little starter kit to start growing my own little Black Monkey Tree. It is just so cool, I have always wanted to have a little bonsai and now I am going to grow one all by myself. I want to share this experience with everyone, so I will be posting updates everyday with everything that I have done. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, I am just a beginner and any advise will be good advise, especially to get the seed to grow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12201

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 850
what is a black monkey? -If you are trying to grow something from seed then be prepared for a long wait.

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12202

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I received a little starter kit to start growing my own little Black Monkey Tree. It is just so cool, I have always wanted to have a little bonsai and now I am going to grow one all by myself. I want to share this experience with everyone, so I will be posting updates everyday with everything that I have done. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong, I am just a beginner and any advise will be good advise, especially to get the seed to grow.

The first thing you did wrong is buying this 'grown your own bonsai' kit. Bonsai seeds do not exist, bonsai are created from real trees. You cannot grow a bonsai tree by putting seed in a small pot and expect a tiny tree grows out of it.
It will take years of growth, training and proper care before your seedling will develop into something that is useful as bonsai starting material.

Of course it is fun to grow something from seed, so if I were you I would first focus on that - try to grow a healthy tree.
The next few years you will have enough time to learn how bonsai are really created. The 'bonsai' pot you probably got with this tree will be useless, you will need a much bigger pot for the tree to grow.

Here is some information about the black monkey thorn (acacia burkei), and bonsai created from this tree species.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12203

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
Some more info, from this forum. Wow Leatherback, didn't know you 've been around here for so long already :)

www.bonsaiempire.com/forum/progressions/1308-starting-from-seed

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12204

• ironhorse
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 72
I have some limited experience in growing from seed - 20 years ago I was given one of these kits, Colorado Blue Spruce, and the sole surviving tree is unimpressive. Sorry if this sounds negative, but buying a grown tree is a far better way to start in Bonsai, and need not be expensive if you search clearance areas of your local nurseries - I've had decent Junipers for few pounds each which have been at a good stage to start training into Bonsai

Dave

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12213

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Wow Leatherback, didn't know you 've been around here for so long already :)

Yeah, I basically founded this forum. I might very well be the longest surviving member. Probably means I chase people off :S

Anyway.. The thread you linked combined with the posts here sais everything I have to say aboud growing from seed. Fun, but not the best start into bonsai.

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12220

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
If the people who made these kits where in my house, oh dear, they would have wished they were practically...

Leatherback, I always thought you you were one of those people who were on t'internet 24/7 looking at how many posts you have made but to be a founder! Your epicness is overwhelming ;)

Last edit: Post by bob.

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12225

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Leatherback, I always thought you you were one of those people who were on t'internet 24/7 looking at how many posts you have made but to be a founder!

:dry: Not a true founder, but one of the early adaptors I would say. And nope, I am not online 24/7. I have a fulltime job as manager at a university, run a compagny and 'maintain' currently 4 websites. Bonsai is just a hobby on the side. As for posting and numbers.. The Dutch forum has a lot more to suffer from me, with 3.3K posts since joining in july 2011.

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12226

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
But still, you at least helped create this forum, cool job thy are rather hard to come by. Just out of interest, which company do you own.

Starting my first new Bonsai challenge 9 years 7 months ago #12230

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Have you heard of this compagny SHELL?

• Page: