TOPIC:

Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3742

• hein
  • hein's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 2
Hey all

How are you guys doing. Time really has flown. I have been away and super busy.

I got back home after a couple of months and then I see it. My ficus natalensis has black leafs. On some leafs it starts on the tip and on others it starts in the middle, but eventually it spreads all over the leaf. Is this some kind of fungus??? And how should it be treated. PLEASE HELP ME.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3743

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45
woah that doesn't sound good. Have you checked the tree for spider mites, they really small, but you can spot them with their bright red abdomens. Im not sure tho if they affect ficus.

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3744

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hm.. That is odd. It could be a mould. But maybe you could post a clear picture? Spider mites do not cause this; They cause 'silver' spots: Small marks on the leaves where they have damaged the leave

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3748

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I just thought it could be it because I heard at a bonsai meeting that spider mites can cause an entire branch to go grey on a juniper. What exactly do spider mites do that causes the area to go silver? It just seems weird that a spider would bite a tree haha, i never knew spiders went for plant :P

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3750

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I will post a pic on thursday. I only saw the leafs last night so that's why I haven't posted a photo. I really need to stop it cause I don't want it spreading to the other trees

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3751

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
maybe remove the infected leaves and see if that helps. And keep it far from you other trees :)

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3753

• joncoh101
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 3
Definately a diseased tree, the only thing i can think of is black spot, but that doesnt turn leaves completely black so i dont know, try googling it more but the first thing to do before you find out what is wrong you should put the tree in a location isolated from the other tree as mwid said, to stop other trees being infected.

I have never heard of a disease that turns leaves completely black so its either over watering or the tree is not receiving enough light and air, is the tree indoors?

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3760

• Pinkham
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 62
it sounds like ficus rust or fig rust. it's a fungus.It's recommended that you take off all the infected leaves and spray the tree with a liquid copper antifungal.
I use a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water to cure fungal infections
a cap full of peroxide in a 28 ounce spray bottle. i spray the tree once a day for 2 weeks,then every other day for 2 weeks. then once a week until the infection is gone.
this is what I did last spring with my Pine. it made a full recovery.
Back to your problem......
If this is it ,the problem can be cured.
Good luck

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3765

• hein
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Here is some pics of the leafs. It looks slightly burnt. But I dont know. We have had a couple of VERY VERY HOT days. Temps reahed as high as 45 Degrees with no wind at all. Checked it last night and found no sign of any mites or pests. There was a spider there but not a tree threatening one.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Re: Black Leaf Ficus 12 years 3 months ago #3768

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Hm..

If it is that hot, typically it is dry too. Is this also the case now where you are? Because that would fairly effectively reduce the risk on having a fungus infection.

The heat stroke as I know it, causes ficus to drop their leaves an masse (On ficus benjamina). On the other hand, sunburns do cause spots, but I have found them to be brown, not black. It could be a different response i your species.

I would say: Keep a close eye on the tree for the next few days. Don't put the tree in the hot sun (Morning or late afternoon would be reasonable, if the tree is used to your climate zone) and well-watered. If you get new leaves infected you have a situation to deal with. Then fungus ia a likely candidate. If no new leaves get black you probably are dealing with stress.

:unsure:

• Page: