TOPIC:

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14759

• Craig
  • Craig's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 59
Hi guy's,

I see a few people getting into Bonsai , alot of which usually end up with something rather small and hard to see any potential in yet.
Combined with reading about what makes bonsai and how to make a bonsai it is good to see some go through the changes.
This small nursery stock $3 aus at a general garden center is a Melaleuca preissiana and a favorite species of mine.
Not alot of progession pics but here it is.

The trunk was just very long and quite straight so I reduced the height and decided to begin a tree from a single branch.

It was all wired up and allowed to recover.

It was just a matter of waiting for new growth and further wiring of branches as needed

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14760

• Craig
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
This little tree is 290 mm high and has now been in training for just around 2 years.
Time came not long ago to repot into a different container for a while.

good roots

and a few different pics from all 4 angles.

Hopefully people can see the slow change of this tree and inspire them to work on thier trees.
A little forethought into the look of the tree further down the road is needed but building a small tree isn't that hard,

The tree has settled nicely so I will post a recent picture soon.

This message has attachments images.

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14761

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 1

This small nursery stock $3 aus at a general garden center is a Melaleuca preissiana and a favorite species of mine.

Then your tree won't I am afraid materialize into anything. Garden Center stock aren't grown as Bonsai. I have learned that. Still looks nice though. You would be best getting raw Bonsai material from a local bonsai nursery in future.

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14762

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Then your tree won't I am afraid materialize into anything. Garden Center stock aren't grown as Bonsai. I have learned that.

Why is that? I have plenty of plants that origine from a garden centre.

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14763

• Craig
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
It won't , oh no ;) bummer :(

This message has an attachment image.

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14764

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 1

Then your tree won't I am afraid materialize into anything. Garden Center stock aren't grown as Bonsai. I have learned that.

Why is that? I have plenty of plants that origine from a garden centre.

But you said that it is best to get material from a nursery, didn't you?

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14765

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185

Then your tree won't I am afraid materialize into anything. Garden Center stock aren't grown as Bonsai. I have learned that. Still looks nice though. You would be best getting raw Bonsai material from a local bonsai nursery in future.

That's not the point about garden center material, and most certainly it is not the point either about Bonsai. I do believe that given some time, patience and well intended work this tree could eventually turn into a very nice specimen. Also, after reading a few of Craig's posts I think we all should give him the benefit of the doubt... At least to me, he seems to be one of the good knowledgeable members of this forum ;)

Alain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craig

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14766

• Craig
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
As a beginner it is ever so difficult to know What to invest hard earned dollars in , over the period of time which I have been growing trees for Bonsai I have tried many trees from various places. What the good people on this particular Forum have been saying is that sometimes for beginners it is best to seek advice on a purchase from a Bonsai nursery/seller because they usually sell trees with far more potential than regular garden centers. Also Bonsai nurseries/sellers are best equipt to offer Advice "if asked".
Most trees sourced from regular garden centers can be turned into Bonsai over a period of time it all depends on the growers experience.

Not all trees grown for Bonsai will conform to the Traditional ways however if grown and styled utilising all the knowledge learnt , they can be made into more Natural Bonsai. That is they still possess alot of the qualities needed to be Bonsai on the more leinient side of things.

If you look at the tree posted it is developing a nice Nebari at the base, the Trunk hasn't alot of Taper yet but this will happen slowly on this tree , Branch structure is still a progress underway and will take several years for it to gain some even taper through them and a more even distribution of them , the tree is beginning to show Balance of direction and it is slowly getting there.

An award winning Kokfu Tree No but a sweet tree built designed grown and loved by myself Yes. That's is what Bonsai is all about! Have Fun , enjoy and learn as we go,

Last edit: Post by Craig.

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14767

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Well said Craig.

Bonsai Mackem, I realize what you are referring to . Will reply there, as to not clutter this thread.

Nursery stock beginnings 9 years 1 week ago #14769

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Then your tree won't I am afraid materialize into anything. Garden Center stock aren't grown as Bonsai. I have learned that

I go to garden centers. You can get good material there.

Am I confused now, or are you contradicting yourself?

• Page: