Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40013

• DanTdr
  • DanTdr's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Wanted some suggestions on how to prune my Chinese Elm.

It's been about 3 weeks since i got the tree, and it seems to be doing really well, it has a lot of new growth and a lot of new buds, it's been fertilised once a week (liquid fertiliser 6:6:6), watered when needed.
I will transfer the tree to a bigger square plastic pot that is deep and wide and has a lot of space for the tree to grow.

From what i observed, there are some inner growing branches, some are pretty thick and they need to go (maybe plant them and see if i get them to root).
The small lower branches I would like to keep for a while to help the trunk thicken, they should be removed at some point.
I have a nice strong branch that i would like to keep but it is going to the back of the tree.
The trunk seems to have been cut at some point, i do not know what to do with that.
At this point i was thinking of shaping the tree in a broom style in the future, or maybe air layer it next year to get rid of the straight trunk and start from there.

I would let the tree grow but it has many tangled and crossing branches and the light does not pass through.
I attached some photos with some close ups.

Thanks,
Dan

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by DanTdr.

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40014

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
It looks healthy and happy.
You can prune it now to get rid of the "wrong" branches, and trim it so it doesn't get leggy.
Take a good look at the trunk, many elms are grafted and the scar will show for a long time, maybe forever.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DanTdr

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40017

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

many elms are grafted

Are you sure about that?

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40018

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

many elms are grafted

Are you sure about that?

You see, I was not very sure some time ago; mine surely is, it has a chopstick inserted at the junction.
So I askedaround, and the answer at the time was "many commercial elms are grafted from roots".

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40019

• DanTdr
I do not know if mine was grafted, but the branches seem to come from inside the trunk.
I attached another image, i do not know what happened to the trunk it seems to have 2 branches sticking out from the trunk, somehow inside the trunk. Maybe some healing paste (resin from Brunonia extract) will help to close the wound.

This message has an attachment image.

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40022

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Looks like a graft.
But...
Could be a chop gone wrong, and the new growth sprouted from inside the wound.

Last edit: Post by Clicio.

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40024

• DanTdr
@Clicio: it is indeed a graft, you were right. I am a bit disappointed about that but i still like the way it turned out.

So i finally got the courage to trim the tree and even though i was initially aiming for a broom style, i ended up going another way.

I first removed all the dead branches i could find, then i removed the crossing branches, i tried to avoid having any T shape branches and after that i was very far away from a broom style. I asked my wife for an opinion and she said it looked like the wind swept most of the branches back, that seemed interesting so i removed some more branches, tried to do some directional cutting and I went with something resembling the windswept style.

I am pretty satisfied with the result since this is the first time i tried to give a tree a shape.

After the pruning was done i removed the tree from the pot, and it was pretty root bound (had some medium roots going in circle around the pot), i tried to untangle some of the roots without disturbing them too much and i transferred the tree to a bigger plastic pot with organic bonsai soil mix. I was thinking of letting it grow in this new pot for 1-2 years, I don't know if i should remove it next year to work on the roots and put it back in the same pot.

I will have to do some directional cutting or some wiring in the future to shape some branches and fill in some of the space. But i think i will wait a while so that i do not put the tree into shock from to much work at once.

How does it look? Can i improve anything? Did i go in the right way with this tree?
Any advice is appreciated.

This message has attachments images.

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40027

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Now...
Let it grow!
:-)

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40033

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Auk, here is my grafted Elm before the carving I did to hide the chopstick.
Ugly and dirt work by the nursery in China.

This message has an attachment image.

Chinese Elm pruning advice 5 years 10 months ago #40038

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Are you sure it is grafted?

I personally have never come across a grafted specimen, unless it is a variagated species. The regular chinese elms root from all size cuttings and even root trimmings start growing. It is not just the point where it was trimmed?

• Page: