Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47934

• Svarog
  • Svarog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Would like to get some tips and advices on styling this Hornbeam. I'm still at beginner phase, so i would really appreciate some input.
If i understand correctly, i should wait with pruning until new growth hardens off, and i should wait with hard pruning until the late winter?
Thanks!

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47935

• Ricky73
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 50
Hi Svarog, I am also still a beginner, but this is a very nice tree, with good nebari, taper and ramification.
So I would just let it be for a while (so not earlier that next winter-spring) until you get to know this tree better, and let it thrive.
I personally do not see an urgent need for hard pruning...
But more experienced guests on the forum might give different advice!
Indeed. very nice tree!

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47936

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487
I do hope this tree is indoor only to take the picture? If not, If it stays there it will die

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47953

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791
I 'm going to disagree. I don't think it is a nice tree, it looks very unbalanced, tapering is absent, branch positioning is not great. It's a difficult tree to work on.
The second section is very straight, far too long, and not pleasing to the eye.

This tree needs a major make-over. I'd probably cut it off above the first branch, make that branch the new top, and then rebuild it.

Last edit: Post by Auk.

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47956

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
I completely agree with Auk.
I would chop it down to the first branch, and air layer the upper part (do hornbeans air layer easily?) above the straight long second section of the trunk.

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47957

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I would chop it down to the first branch, and air layer the upper part (do hornbeans air layer easily?) above the straight long second section of the trunk.

Ah... air layering. Of course. Should've thought of that. Two trees for the price of one!

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47962

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Nice little tree.

Keep in mind that hornbeam is very slow to cover any cuts with bark. So I would not recommend chopping the trunk. For me, the tree is a very nice tree that with time can only improve.

I would consider wiring the tree, ensuring all branches follow a shape that creates a pattern, rythm so to speak. It is however hard to explain in word.

DO you have an option to meet up with some other bonsai enthousiast who can get you started face to face.

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47963

• Svarog
  • Svarog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Thanks for all the tips and advices. I actually like this tree, and yes, i know it's far from perfect shape but i like it anyways, so i won't do any trunk chopping but i completely understand the reasoning behind that idea.
The tree was inside only for the picture.
I don't really have someone close by but will try to find someone for some face to face talk. ATM i am mostly relying on reddit, forums, stuff that i read in online articles and bonsai mirai guides.

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47964

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 927

If i understand correctly, i should wait with pruning until new growth hardens off, and i should wait with hard pruning until the late winter?
Thanks!

No. Hard pruning a deciduous tree is best in mid summer, when callousing is at its best.
I recommend you to read here regarding hornbeam:
www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carpinus.html

I agree with Auk and Clicio here - the trunk is thin, so this tree will always look immature. As adviced by Clicio, airlayering is a good thing to do here
You woukld get 2 trees:

But the leaf size on hornbeam is quite large, so keeping this as on pictures wouldn´t work well and to make a shohin trees out of hornbeam isn´t the best idea.
So I would plant them in the garden for few years until they get bigger. YOu would have 2 trees with thicker trunks that have good movement.
And I think that cut on the bottom part of the tree would callous ok since the trunk isn´t that thick there yeat and the tree would grow strong in ground if cared for properly.

I kept growing some 10 saplings in a crate for 2 years to have them ready for some new landscape, it took me that long until I finally saw the foolishness of it and I planted them in the garden 2 weeks ago. In 5 years they might look interesting :)

But if you like the tree as it is - all is fine, and you can enjoy it like that. And minor pruning can be done right away no problem. But first, think about it and don´t go cutting randomly. On Bonsai 4 me web there is an article about pruning deciduous trees and how to build the crown I think - if I am mistaken, it is very well written in Harry´s books.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

European Hornbeam - tips on styling and pruning 5 years 3 weeks ago #47971

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
What Mimo kindly drew is what I had in mind.
Thank you, Mimo!

• Page: