• Page:

TOPIC:

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43309

• leroycoutts
  • leroycoutts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 25
While there is plenty of conversation here.. and on other forums on what an ideal bonsai mix should be, there isnt often the same amount of discussion on Pre-bonsai soil mixes. Would like to get peoples opinions on what has worked or not for them as a good pre-bonsai soil mix, that ideally has helped grow fine fibrous roots.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43314

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, leroycoutts

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43330

• bmrscreamr
  • Thanks received: 2
It is frustrating when people just post links to other places instead of giving their opinion.

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43332

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

It is frustrating when people just post links to other places instead of giving their opinion.

Akadama/Pumice/Lava
Or
DE/Pine Bark/Charcoal/Coarse River Sand
Or
Crushed bricks/Humus/Gravel
Or
Loam/Kitty Litter/Aquarium Sand
Or
Kanuma (azaleas and pommegranates)
Or
Nursery soil/less watering

Best response: it depends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback, Auk, Felidae, leroycoutts, bmrscreamr

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43339

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102

It is also frustrating when someone does not accept a link as an answer where you could learn a lot about asked topic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43341

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Sometimes, a good link is available fo express the opion well. Why then retype the message.

I fully agree with Clicio's answer. But well.. That is my website, so I am biased.

The exact components do not matter much. The characteristics of the mix are what matters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Felidae

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43347

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you guys... but i think the context of my original question is lost here... like i said, there are many blogs, websites, forums where there is extensive discussion on bonsai soil and mixes... but most of those are geared towards mature trees ready to go into a bonsai pot...

I would really like to see if there is a big difference ... or any difference at all, between trees in training and mature tree soil. Eg. some folks i know locally use very fine soil (or even heavy clay sometimes) in the training phase to generate fine fibrous roots....especially with tropical trees.

So yes, some links are helpful.. but dont have the nuanced opinion i was looking for. I believe all of us have the capability of looking up general mixes for bonsais as there are plenty of them available online.

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43348

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Also, I would really like to get personal experiences and views of what works and what doesnt... there are a bunch of very experienced people here and would be great to hear and learn from their experince, rather than read a list of soil mixes without understanding the context...

thanks again all..

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43349

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Also, I would really like to get personal experiences and views of what works and what doesnt... there are a bunch of very experienced people here and would be great to hear and learn from their experince, rather than read a list of soil mixes without understanding the context...

thanks again all..

Have you visited the page Clicio suggested? Because there I actually went beyond the scope of a specific mix, and basically put down the requirements of a good mixture.

In the end, you have to use what works for you, and the tree really does not care much, as long as your care and the substrate are in balance. Trees can cope with loads of substrates. Fine roots are only a concern once you have the basic tree in place. I have both trees in the ground (sand with organics, no grains > 1,,) as well as in pots, in my regular substrate mixture -find that in the link that Clicio posted-.

You need to ensure the roots do not drown (=lack of oxygen). And you need to ensure the roots do not dry out (=lack of water) and you need to ensure the roots have regular access to nutrients. If you meet these requirements, you are half way home. Ground growing is more effective, because plants are "aware" of the container they are in. In full ground, they grow a lot quicker.

Pre-bonsai soil mix 5 years 7 months ago #43354

• leroycoutts
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Actually I did. But again, the post didn’t talk specifics for pre Bonsai’s which is what I intend to understand right now.

I can generalised from the post, but don’t want to do that. So unless there is no real diffwrenc between a pre bonsai and a bonsai soil mix I guess that post answers my question. But it did not answer anything I already knew.

I am looking for specificity.

• Page: