Pumice

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Pumice was created by Ivan Mann

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45531
Akadama absorbs water and releases it. Lava rock adds space. What does pumice do that the other two don't do?
by Ivan Mann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Pumice

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45536
From this very website, Bonsai Empire:
"Pumice is a soft volcanic product, which can absorb water and nutrients quite well. When used in a Bonsai soil mix, it helps to retain water and it aids the roots to ramify very well. ... Roots can't grow into Lava rock. Organic potting compost includes peat moss, perlite and sand."
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Pumice

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45542
I thought I looked there. Oh, well. Thx.
by Ivan Mann

• Ivan Mann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Pumice

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45558
If the job of akadama is to hold water, and the job of pumice is to hold water, why use both? Why not use lots of one instead of some of both?
by Ivan Mann

• Leung
  • Thanks received: 8

Replied by Leung on topic Pumice

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45567
Akadama holds more water, and promotes fine roots because small roots are able to penetrate the akadama particles. The downside of akadama is that it breaks down and becomes soggy over a period of 2-4 years. Pumice on the other hand is not degradeable and therefore provides structure and water retention.

Akadama is essential in bonsai cultivation, because of the promotion of fine roots which is essential if you want to promote fine ramification. Without and healthy rootball with many many fine roots - a fine ramification cannot be achieved.
Last Edit:5 years 5 months ago by Leung
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Leung.

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Pumice

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45570

Leung wrote: Akadama is essential in bonsai cultivation, because of the promotion of fine roots which is essential if you want to promote fine ramification. Without and healthy rootball with many many fine roots - a fine ramification cannot be achieved.

Now why do you think this? It is of course not true. As an example, look at the bonsai by Harrington. He does not use akadama.
by leatherback

• Leung

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45576
Leatherback - actually it is very true, that being said, I did not mention that it cannot be substituted with something else.

Taken from the web:
About Akadama and Kanuma

Akadama and Kanuma have been used for centuries in Japan. This is one of the reasons you see such beautiful bonsai in Japan. The bonsai masters use these soils, which are a type of pumice only found in Japan, especially for their prized specimen bonsai.

There are many reasons why akadama and kanuma are used. They both retain the right amount of moisture, nutrients and air for a healthy and thriving bonsai. Both promote fine feeder root development because of the special nature of the soft pumice they are. Trees only need less than one third of their root system for growth and nutrient uptake, the balance is used to secure them in the soil so that the winds will not blow them over. In bonsai, you only need the fine feeder roots actually. Most Western derived bonsai soils do not promote the fine fibrous feeder root system that akadama and kanuma do.

You control the amount of fertilizer and nutrients to keep your bonsai in the best condition possible.

Once you have used akadama and kanuma, you will understand why it is used in the highest quality bonsai in Japan. They promote healthy vigorous growth and when it comes to re-potting you will notice the fibrous root system and ease of removal of the soil from the roots.
by Leung

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Pumice

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45578

Leung wrote: Leatherback - actually it is very true, that being said, I did not mention that it cannot be substituted with something else.

Actually, you said just that. you said it is essential. Which is exactly what I meant with it is not true.

Yes akadama works for some people under the right climate (In my climate you will have to repot every 2-3 years. Else you only have mud. ). But it does not work everywhere. And you can get the same results with other substrates.
:cheer:
by leatherback

• Leung

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45580
Actually your are quoting me out of context. If you look at the subject and what the original poster was asking about - then I think my answer is quite right.
by Leung

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Pumice

Posted 5 years 5 months ago #45582
I've been using akadama in my mix for most of my plants, the type known as "hard akadama".
I like it so far, but I never tried it as the only component, it's always a percentage of the mix.
Last Edit:5 years 5 months ago by Clicio
Last edit: 5 years 5 months ago by Clicio.