Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 4 months ago #54338

• Rivka
  • Rivka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
A neighbor pulled an amazing juniper (most likely a Juniperus squamata) and just tossed it to the curb, thankfully i got to it just a few minutes later and they happily let me take it. it ia about 2-3ft tall and 4ft wide, the roots have been trimmed roughly, but not the worst i have seen.
I would love advice on repotting it and starting its journey into a large bonsai. Its trunk is unbelivably gorgeous and the plant as a whole is well grown and clearly healthy.

What things can i do to help it survive the bad day it had yesterday? Should i replant it and just leave it for a year before doing any more trimming, or does that matter much in this case when its dormant?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 4 months ago #54341

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Should i replant it and just leave it for a year before doing any more trimming, or does that matter much in this case when its dormant?

Not the best time to collect if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, but I see it was the only possibility.
So I would plant it in a free draining mix, in a grow box (wooden most problably), and let it get used for...
A year, if it survives the first winter.
Good luck! :-)

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 4 months ago #54351

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hard to tell without visuals but it sounds like you have basically a large cutting.

Important to plant it in a manner that it cannot move at all. Well draining substrate in a grow box or a sunny sheltered positin in the yard. Plenty of sun, out of wind and protect from deep frost this winter.

Drying out is the big risk so keep the foliage well misted, maybe twice a day. The roots should however remain on the dry side.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BofhSkull

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 4 months ago #54356

• Rivka
Yeah way way more than a cutting, included is a few picture now that i have them. The one where its upside down has a blue line showing where the ground level clearly was before it was dug up.

It has now been cleaned ip and repotted in a large growing pot i had. It has massive number of drainage holes and is set up for “air pruning” roots basically. I also used it because it has dozens of tie down options, and the tree is now secured in 6 different directions and is not moving and inch.

im was more experienced in either in ground tree and landscaping or semi-hydo orchids and some limited houseplants. So i will dive deep into substrate mixes and hope that what its in now will do for the season unless i learn otherwise

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 4 months ago #54358

• Rivka

Not the best time to collect if you are in the Northern Hemisphere, but I see it was the only possibility..

Why would now not be a good time? While later winter would likely be better, things are going into dormancy around here which is normally transplant time for us

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 3 months ago #54972

• Rivka
so its been about a month and nothing horrible has happened, crossing my fingers its on the path of healing from its harsh transplant.

i haven't touched it except to check that the soil was not overly dry or wet, finally starting to get truly cold here and have been having a few frosty mornings. we are in a shelter low elevation valley 8b northern hemisphere, so it rarely ever gets horrible here, but i have it in a sheltered cove of the porch with a bright S & E exposure.

anything else can i do for it to help it thru its first winter in a pot?
it is safe now after a month settling do more light cleaning out of dead twigs and small branches? figure that would help it get air and light in its very crowded crown, but wont if it would also stress it out.

what should i be looking for to indicate any particular troubles that it could be having? its nice and green and perky, but honestly so are most of the branches i cut off a month ago and left laying on the deck in a pile!

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 3 months ago #54973

• Rivka
i just can't wait to see more of that amazing trunk, its so spectacular. i know patience, i will

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 3 months ago #54974

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Hard to tell from your images what the plant is potted up in. Oddly enough, overly wet substrate is more harmfull to the plant than most people realize. So keep it on the dry side (Not dust dry of course).

The juniper will start showing recovery of death when you get very dry conditions or in spring. I fyou start to get good growth in spring (So extending branches, not just green tips) it is on the road to recovery. As you have noticed: juniper can stay looking fresh for a very long time.
www.growingbonsai.net/is-my-bonsai-dead/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rivka

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 3 months ago #54987

• GreenGo
  • Thanks received: 6
Nice trunk movement. Looks like it has lots of potential. I hope it lives!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rivka

Saving uprooted Juniperus squamata for future Dai Bonsai 4 years 3 months ago #55008

• Rivka

Hard to tell from your images what the plant is potted up in. Oddly enough, overly wet substrate is more harmfull to the plant than most people realize. So keep it on the dry side (Not dust dry of course).

yeah im not a water happy person having raised orchid for most my plant history. since i had to plant it in a hurry with what i had, i did the best i could. it is in a very lightweight mixture of perlite and humus, hopefully that will the good fast draining mix it needs. im considering moving it a few feet under a roof overhang and taking over the watering myself, now that we are going into our wet season, so far the rains have been on and off enough that it has been getting to dry out often. it also has a pretty dense crown which has been directing lots of th rain it down get, to the branch ends which hand past the pot edge.

The juniper will start showing recovery of death when you get very dry conditions or in spring. I fyou start to get good growth in spring (So extending branches, not just green tips) it is on the road to recovery.

guess i do my best and just wait a few months. i want this tree to survive so badly, i just stare at its trunk on a near daily basis and give it a pep talk.