Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72832

• bajangerry
  • bajangerry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi All,

I hope this does not seem like a dumb question but I live on a tropical island and I cannot find any Bonsai soil here and I am hoping that I can get some advice as to what I can use to substitute with if I am unable to find Akadama, Pumice or Lava rock here? I would have to import these things so I am hoping for some alternatives as that will get expensive. I am trying to start with a Ficus as that seems to be the most prevalent starting point for bonsai.

Thanks,
Gerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by bajangerry.

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72833

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
The usual mixture a long time ago was 1/3 loam, 1/3 sand, 1/3 dirt. What you want is something that holds water, but drains excess water.

Try mixing up sand, dirt, and organic stuff (I use used coffee grounds) starting about 1/3 each, and see how it drains. If you pour water on it and water pours out of the drain hole in the pot, it should be OK. It should hole water for a day unless it is pretty hot, and be close to dry the next day.

Once you get the right proportions, put the ficus in it, then watch to see if the soil mixture clumps up and water doesn't drain. If that happens you should have used more sand.

Depending on the tropical island, you may have lava available in small pieces. If so, use that in place of sand. "Small" means 1/2 centimeter or so.

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72834

• bajangerry
Thanks for your response Ivan, I will do some testing with the items you are suggesting. For improved drainage maybe I should add some small grit as well or do you think the sand going to be coarse enough to allow for that?

Gerry

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72835

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1357
If you have garden centers around you, you can pay them a visit and ask what products they keep in stock for soil improvements.

Also in diy stores it might be able to find expanded clay balls. The small ones can be used directly whilst the big ones needs to be crushed and sifted.

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72837

• bajangerry
Hi Tropfrog,

Thanks, I will check around for that. I have seen in some other forums that people are using kitty litter in their soil but I am sure that there are chemicals added to that stuff that may not be good for the trees, what do you think?

Gerry

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72840

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Thanks for your response Ivan, I will do some testing with the items you are suggesting. For improved drainage maybe I should add some small grit as well or do you think the sand going to be coarse enough to allow for that?

Gerry

That would be better than plain sand, I think. For the rest of the mix, you need to experiment to get a decent mix of drainage and holding water. You really don't want to have to monitor all day and water every hour, so you need something in the mix that holds water, but you don't want too much. The usual mix here is lava rock and pumice along with akadama or something else like that. Pumice holds water real well, and so does akadama, without keeping the roots soggy.

Good luck.

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72844

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Hi Tropfrog,

Thanks, I will check around for that. I have seen in some other forums that people are using kitty litter in their soil but I am sure that there are chemicals added to that stuff that may not be good for the trees, what do you think?

Gerry

Not all kitty litter is good. Its just specific kinds of litter that works. It should be non clumping, non parfumed and made of hard baked bentonite clay or similar. If you find the right product its proboably very good. In my country virtually impossible to find. However, similar products is used to suck up liquids on workshop floors. Those are easier to find here and I have started to use it as a part of my mix.

What to use for soil? 2 years 6 months ago #72845

• bajangerry
Thanks Troyfrog, I will look into that option.

What to use for soil? 2 years 2 months ago #74827

• Dave L
  • Thanks received: 6
I use crushed brick, but it's not just random chunks, but sized 6-810mm.

What to use for soil? 2 years 2 months ago #74828

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I use crushed brick, but it's not just random chunks, but sized 6-810mm.

810mm must be for really big trees? :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave L

• Page: