Should I repot?

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
2 years 1 week ago #75717 by DexMax
Should I repot? was created by DexMax
I received these two trees (a juniper and a maple) around July last year, and I've pretty much done nothing but just water them to try to keep them alive the first year. Only thing I've noticed is that the soil gets very dense and wet at times, so I thought it would be a good idea to repot. Is repotting right now a good idea? If so, any specific soil I should use for these two? Also anything else I should do with these trees at the moment?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Rendering Error in layout User/Profile: Class "KunenaFactory" not found. Please enable debug mode for more information.
2 years 1 week ago #75718 by jojo22
Replied by jojo22 on topic Should I repot?
yes, it's possible, where do you live and what kind of land do you have for repotted

2 years 1 week ago #75723 by DexMax
Replied by DexMax on topic Should I repot?
I live in the United States, Zone 7a. I was thinking of just repotting in the same pot they are in right now, just replacing the soil to a more inorganic one.

2 years 1 week ago #75726 by Tropfrog
Replied by Tropfrog on topic Should I repot?
Yes you can repot into same pot.

I tend to use a large extend of organic soil for trees in nurcery pots. Maybe 20% inorganic for better drainage. I save bonsai soil for bonsais in bonsai pots.

2 years 1 week ago #75727 by DexMax
I wanted to do a more inorganic mix because last year, I had trouble with the soil being way too dense and wet even with moderate water, and especially during rain. Is this alright to do, or should I avoid an inorganic soil?

2 years 1 week ago #75728 by Tropfrog
You can use any soil you prefere. My 20% inorganic is more than most nurcery plants have. Some people use 30,40,50 all the way up to 100% and everything inbetween. Everyone have their own mix and most swear on it as the best. The important thing is to adjust watering and fertilizing to your substrate and climate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DexMax

2 years 1 week ago #75740 by Ivan Mann
Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Should I repot?
Start off thinking mostly inorganic, but add organics, possibly a lot, to hold water, depending on your watering habits and ability.

If you check them two or three times a day, watering when necessary, completely inorganic should be fine. If you life allows you only once a day, you might need the water retention you get with organics in some months, like August. I am in 8a and water twice a day during most of August and some of July and September.

You could get a cheap houseplant or pot with some kine of ground cover, put it out with the trees, and check for when it starts to wilt. Then, water everything.

Should I repot? - Bonsai forum

Bonsai forum

2 years 1 week ago #75775 by DexMax
Also, do I need wire when repotting into these gallon pots, or will the soil be enough to hold it in place?

2 years 1 week ago #75787 by Tropfrog
I dont wire trees into nurcery pots. Sometimes if it feels wobbly, I stake it with a bamboo stick.

2 years 1 week ago #75803 by jojo22
Replied by jojo22 on topic Should I repot?
if it is not attached to the pot, shelter it from the wind