• Page:

TOPIC:

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24577

• Ruth
  • Ruth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 24
I thought I read it or watched a video saying that after you repot you should not put the tree in direct sunlight for two weeks. It might have been on a ficus video. Is this true for all potential bonsai? It am I making things up in my brain. I've taken a lot of info in and it is all running together.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24583

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

I thought I read it or watched a video saying that after you repot you should not put the tree in direct sunlight for two weeks. It might have been on a ficus video. Is this true for all potential bonsai? It am I making things up in my brain. I've taken a lot of info in and it is all running together.

This is true for all plants, some require more than 2 weeks. I usually wait until I see the plant putting out new shoots, then I know it is all good. Of course this is only valid if you re pot in proper season (early spring).

Last edit: Post by eangola.

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24585

• Ruth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks. I hated having to repot this season but they were in bad pots with no drainage and hideous soil. I hope they make it. I will watch them carefully.

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24589

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Thanks. I hated having to repot this season but they were in bad pots with no drainage and hideous soil. I hope they make it. I will watch them carefully.

Do not repot out of season unless you really know what you are doing. The risk of killing a plant by repotting in the wrong season is a lot higher than the risk of a plant dying in bad soil. You can change the care you give a plant to adjust for bad soil.

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24608

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

You can always change the pot without changing the soil (if the pot has no drainage), and then adapt to watering the bad soil. We are only a few months away from next season.... Most of my trees are in nursery plastic pots, which have extra holes I drilled myself. The trees are doing very well.

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24640

• Ruth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I did everything wrong with my juniper. (Don't shoot me Auk, I bought before I read). I hope and pray it makes it. If not I have learned a valuable lesson but I hate for it to be at my junipers expense. I will report back in a few weeks regarding the poor juniper. I am learning a lot from all the posts on this website. Thanks for your patience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cecilya

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24646

• Cecilya
  • Thanks received: 0
patience

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24660

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I did everything wrong with my juniper. (Don't shoot me Auk, I bought before I read).

Why would I want to shoot you? Do you really think that never happened to me?

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24690

• Ruth
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
That does make me feel better to know in not the only one who makes mistakes. I felt like an idiot because I know better.
I will feel so great if the juniper makes it. .

After repotting 7 years 7 months ago #24717

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

That does make me feel better to know in not the only one who makes mistakes. I felt like an idiot because I know better.
I will feel so great if the juniper makes it. .

Patience is the first thing you learn in Bonsai. I think we ALL did what you just did. We just get all psyched about creating a miniature tree, we get a specimen, and we just can't wait!. With time, you end up learning, it is not about having that cool looking little tree, but more about the path to get there. Even if that path takes 10 years, or more, it is that what's enjoyable.

Yes you'll end up with a beautiful Bonsai after years and years of work and enjoyment; that's the reward.

• Page: