Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24907

• Keefer
  • Keefer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Bought a mallsai, repotted immediately because the pot had no holes and the soil was just wet dirt. I bought miracle grow mix that claimed to protect against over AND under watering... Idk how that works, but after I reported it, I saw online that if you're going to go with premix stuff like miracle grow, to go with a cactus mix because of the easy drainage. Now my soil is compact and doesn't drain well anyway, would it be okay to repot it again (that would be twice in just a few weeks) and get a better soil?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24911

• Keefer
Repotting*

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24913

• Winter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 29
If the tree is healthy and strong do it, but one last time this year. But obviously you dont know much about bonsai soils if you are buying it (the one you can buy is usually the most inapropriate). So before transplanting learn about how to prepare your own soil. You will have to mix at least 3-4 different soils. Check youtube.

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24914

• Keefer
Will do, thanks!

Curious, say the tree isn't healthy and strong but not unhealthy and weak... What would be the consequences of stress like that?

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24916

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

\ You will have to mix at least 3-4 different soils.

Not True.

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24917

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
It depends a lot on what you cal repotting. In bonsai terms that refers to a series of actions aimed at reducing the rootbaal and creating a lot of fine roots. If you just transplanted the tree to a new container, you might be fine. If you did a lot of rootwork, chances are the plant has started to recreate links with the soil in the form of new root tips. I would then not risk repotting now. Next time, first understand what needs to be done, then do it.

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24918

• eangola
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 82

Bought a mallsai, repotted immediately because the pot had no holes and the soil was just wet dirt. I bought miracle grow mix that claimed to protect against over AND under watering... Idk how that works, but after I reported it, I saw online that if you're going to go with premix stuff like miracle grow, to go with a cactus mix because of the easy drainage. Now my soil is compact and doesn't drain well anyway, would it be okay to repot it again (that would be twice in just a few weeks) and get a better soil?

No. It is too late and you have no experience. Learn to deal with your soil, does it stay wet for too long? then water less... Only water when the top of the soil and half and inch below it is dry. Never let the soil go bone dry. If the soil is "compact" there are a few things you can do this time of the year.

1) Use a chopstick to open holes in the soil; this will improve drainage.
2) Change the top soil with small pumice. Basically remove as much as top soil as you can without bothering the roots. Then replace with small pumice or lava rock.

Next year on early spring, right before buds of decidous trees come out, re pot the tree on proper soil. If your tree is a Juniper, it will like dry soil. Small pumice is a great cheap option, you can mix it with a little bit of organic matter like medium fir bark. Heck, I know people who only use Pumice on their junipers and they are totally fine.

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24921

• Winter
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 29
Did you wire the roots to the pot?

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24922

• Keefer
I know I got into this without being totally prepared, but I'm in this now and I'm actively researching and studying. The stupid questions I'm asking now need to be asked in order to correct the wrongs I made jumping into a lifelong hobby without a whole lot of know how. I appreciate all the input and constructive criticism, and many years from now I'm confident I'll have something to show for it.

Some things I have trouble with... I bought a book that was recommended to me on this very forum. I have been practicing emergency techniques for draining soil if transplanting is out of the question, but I've had people tell me what I'm doing is stupid. There is a ton of information out there, but a lot of it differs so much! I've had platinum members on this forum contradict information I learned from an experienced master! it's confusing!

Reporting multiple times - deadly, or okay? 7 years 7 months ago #24923

• Keefer
No I did not. When I said "reported" I meant "repotted," and when I meant "repotted" I meant transplanted.