Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28617

• Wylocson
  • Wylocson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I got my first bonsai (Chinese Elm) during the summer and it came in an organic soil (no hard rocks or anything). I wanted to repot it before the spring time so that I could replace the soil. I've read the soil and repotting pages here multiple times. So from what I've gathered, it looks like I should use 2:1:1 akadama, lava rock, pumice (preferable, but having difficulty finding medium grain akadama, as the soil page recommends), or 1:1:1 (there's a premix of this exact composition on Amazon, so I was thinking of just going for that until I can find medium grain akadama). So I was going to pull my tree out to take a look at the roots and see if it needs a bigger pot as well while I'm at it. I haven't watered it in a while because it's dormant (no leaves). It actually lost it's leaves in October, started to grow new ones, then lost them again. 1. Should I be concerned about its health?/Should I water it at all before spring time comes? My plan was to just wait until spring and see if it grows leaves again.

When trying to check the roots it did not come out of the pot in a block as pictured 2. Does this mean the roots are not that extensive and it doesn't need a bigger pot? I ended up not pulling it all the way out because I wanted to have the new soil handy before dumping out all the previous soil. 3. Would the inorganic mix even come out in a block? On the repotting page, it looks like organic soil is being used, but it just says "bonsai soil." 4. Should I be using an organic component when I repot, or should I stick with the inorganic 2:1:1/1:1:1 mix that I decided on based on the soil guide? I'm just having a lot of problems understanding exactly what I should do because there seem to be some discrepancies in the info pages.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28619

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

I got my first bonsai

And that is how 99% of all posts start on this forum. We never hear from the poster again, as they do not pursue the hobby after their first 'bonsai'.

What you got is probably a mallsai. It will die, like most of 'm do. Is this cynical? It's hard not to get cynical seeing the enormous amount of posts, lately, of people who think they have started with bonsai as a hobby.

If you are really interested in the hobby, be prepared to study and to invest decades of time. Post a picture of your tree, and maybe someone is willing to give tips.

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28620

• Wylocson
It's a chinese elm I got from Eastern Leaf. I got it in May and it had problems with aphids which I treated with a dawn/water solution. It also traveled with my by car/bus/train a few times, which I think may have stressed the plant out a bit. Also when winter started and we turned the heat on, I don't think it liked the baseboard heating too much, it was right above one of the heaters by the window. I'm happy to answer any other questions, I'm just confused about the soil because I'm finding a lot of conflicting information.

Sorry for its being sideways, can't figure out how to rotate it.
Also usually it's on a humidity tray, but I'm on winter break from uni right now and the tray is at my apartment. Are the humidity trays useful at all?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Wylocson.

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28622

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
From what you are telling us, I am afraid it is dead. Very few plants tolerate standing on a heater. If this plant is indoors it should be fully green. Only when kept outside do these loose their leaves in winter. Sorry :(

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28627

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I don't think the soil is / was your main concern, but the tree's environment.
I unfortunately think LB is right. It's too late for this plant.

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28630

• Turnedandburned
Glad I read that before jumping in. I guess I would have been one that jumped in and let a tree die. I had no idea there was that much to it. I better do some more studying before I even think about getting one.

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28634

• Wylocson
Darn :/ I read that the chinese elm could be kept inside, but I didn't think about the heater. Once I realized, I moved it out into the garage, but it was there for a while. I Guess I'll hold out until spring and see what happens, but I also planted some bonsai seed, so I'll see where that goes. Thanks for the help!

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28635

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I also planted some bonsai seed

There is no such thing as bonsai seed, it doesn't exist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: simplysaid

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28655

• Wylocson
I've planted some silver birch (Betula pendula) seeds with the intent of training a bonsai. Once again, thanks for your help. The pedantry was especially appreciated, I feel so welcome.

Confusion between repotting and soil pages 7 years 2 months ago #28658

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653

Darn :/ I read that the chinese elm could be kept inside, but I didn't think about the heater. Once I realized, I moved it out into the garage, but it was there for a while. I Guess I'll hold out until spring and see what happens

Yeah, that was what I was considering suggesting, but then again.. If it has been on top of a heater for 2 months without foliage.. Don't hold your breath.
As for the pedantric comment.. Not sure it is fair. Fact is, there is no such thing as bonsai seed. There are treeseeds suitable for bonsai.

• Page: