Bonsai forum

Bansai Tree from local grocery store repotting

• MissBundy
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Bansai Tree from local grocery store repotting was created by MissBundy

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29965
So about last week I purchased a Bonsai Tree from Wegmans which is a local grocery store. The tree is in a ceramic type container. The soil was covered half with moss and half stone. The stones were glued together and were not easily moved. I was watering my Bonsai everyday with a misting bottle. I would lift the moss and spray the soil directly. I would also spray the rocks. I wasn't sure if the water was reaching the soil underneath the stones. A few of the leaves began to turn yellow so i did a little research and found this could be due to under watering. Made sense. So after ten minutes I was able to remove the stones from the soil. The soil was very dry underneath. I bought some new organic soil and some fertilizer and re-potted my Bonsai Tree. After doing some more research to ensure my tree is being properly taken care of (I should have done this before I re-potted) I discovered that the pot should have a drainage hole, which it does not, and organic standard soil is not the best for a Bonsai Tree. I want to buy a new pot with a drainage hole and am going to order a Bonsai soil blend online. Will re-potting again impact the health of my Bonsai? If kept in the pot with no drainage hole and the wrong soil wont this harm the tree as well? I believe my Bonsai is a Ficus. I will provide pictures to confirm if I am correct. Please help! I appreciate any feedback. Thank you!
by MissBundy

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Bansai Tree from local grocery store repotting

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29967

MissBundy wrote: organic standard soil is not the best for a Bonsai Tree

It isn't for a bonsai tree and usually it then concerns an outdoor tree. This however is not a bonsai, it is a house plant. Standard potting soil will do.
by Auk

• MissBundy
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by MissBundy on topic Bansai Tree from local grocery store repotting

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29968
Can you explain why this is not a Bansai? That is what it was stated as when I purchased it
by MissBundy

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29969

MissBundy wrote: Can you explain why this is not a Bansai?

Sorry, but no. I have explained that 1.079 times now on this forum.

That is what it was stated as when I purchased it

Putting a label on a plant doesn't make it a bansai. Or a bonsai.
Last Edit:7 years 1 month ago by Auk
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Auk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MissBundy

• MissBundy
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29970
I went and did some further research because I wanted to understand what you meant. I was misusing the term and now I understand. Thank you for opening my eyes!
by MissBundy

• spacewood
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 113

Replied by spacewood on topic Bansai Tree from local grocery store repotting

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29975
You did so many mistakes, its good if you learn from them. Best is to start learning the basics of how to handle a tree in pot moving to what makes a tree a real bonsai. Its not only a researching but a dedicated path and long way of study and trials and errors. Its a philosophy as well. First thing is to correctly identify your tree, so you treat it properly. If you go through website and guides here you will get to it. Every species have different needs and requirements, though you will find there are some rules applicable to all of them.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
by spacewood
The following user(s) said Thank You: MissBundy

• MissBundy
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29987
Thank you for the kind response. I am committed to learning the art of Bonsai! It is only the beginning of my journey. Hopefully the Ficus I have now will survive the mistakes I have made. Enjoy your day!
by MissBundy

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #29991

MissBundy wrote: Thank you for the kind response. I am committed to learning the art of Bonsai! It is only the beginning of my journey. Hopefully the Ficus I have now will survive the mistakes I have made. Enjoy your day!

I really don't see why spacewood says you made many mistakes. The only mistake you made was buying something that you thought was a bonsai.
by Auk

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic Bansai Tree from local grocery store repotting

Posted 7 years 1 month ago #30037
Just to help you out. If you lift the ficus, yes it is, from the current containter and move it to another with drainage, that is fine. It is better fir the plant, and easier on you. Water when the soil starts to dry out. Put the tree in a bright spot, ideally not in to op a heater.
by leatherback

• Sugarysweep

Replied by Sugarysweep on topic Bansai Tree from local grocery store repotting

Posted 1 year 9 months ago #77444
Hi! I got a plant at my local grocery store from what looks like the same company. I googled the brand name on the care sticker for the plant and lo and behold you have the Penang Nursery bonsai from the slate oval series. I didn't even realize that the substrate was glued together until I started picking out, and then there was no drainage hole, and then there was just a hard time with it in general. I can't offer much advice at all because I literally just got my plant yesterday but I think it's cool we both have the same problem. Not that the problem itself is cool, but it's still funny. Good luck with your tree
by Sugarysweep