Fertilizing hawthorn

• Oyster Sauce
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 0

Fertilizing hawthorn was created by Oyster Sauce

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68396
I have two hawthorn. It is the beginning of May and they haven't begun blossoming yet, which is normal I think. But should I begin fertilizing them now and stop only when they blossom or should I wait until blossoming is finished before fertilizing?
by Oyster Sauce

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m5eaygeoff
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 855

Replied by m5eaygeoff on topic Fertilizing hawthorn

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68400
adding fertiliser is nothing to do with flowering. I will not be adding any fertiliser to any trees before mid to late May depending if they are in full leaf and hardened off. There is no need to do so
by m5eaygeoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oyster Sauce

• Oyster Sauce
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Replied by Oyster Sauce on topic Fertilizing hawthorn

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68401

m5eaygeoff wrote: adding fertiliser is nothing to do with flowering. I will not be adding any fertiliser to any trees before mid to late May depending if they are in full leaf and hardened off. There is no need to do so

I have been led to believe that fertilizing while in bloom is not a good idea. Is that not true?
by Oyster Sauce

• Rorror
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 132

Replied by Rorror on topic Fertilizing hawthorn

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68402
Firtilizer with to much Nitrogen can effect flowering of the plants, as it is growing lots of leaves and smaller flowers and fruits. A balanced firtilizer would be ok, before it flowers, while it flowers, and fruiting. If you want bigger fruits, then add more K at the fruiting stage.

Also depents on what you want, do you want to flowers, fruits, or do you want good growth for tickening trunk or branches, or are you in refining stage, that would require less firtilzier for getting smaller leaves/flowers/fruits?
by Rorror

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

Replied by Ivan Mann on topic Fertilizing hawthorn

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68403

m5eaygeoff wrote: adding fertiliser is nothing to do with flowering. I will not be adding any fertiliser to any trees before mid to late May depending if they are in full leaf and hardened off. There is no need to do so

Note that for every single statement like this you should add mentally "in this climate". I have been fertilizing since the end of March when every tree was leafed out and there was a lot of new growth. Different climates, different schedules.
by Ivan Mann

• Oyster Sauce
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68404

Rorror wrote: Firtilizer with to much Nitrogen can effect flowering of the plants, as it is growing lots of leaves and smaller flowers and fruits. A balanced firtilizer would be ok, before it flowers, while it flowers, and fruiting. If you want bigger fruits, then add more K at the fruiting stage.

Also depents on what you want, do you want to flowers, fruits, or do you want good growth for tickening trunk or branches, or are you in refining stage, that would require less firtilzier for getting smaller leaves/flowers/fruits?

Well, every source I've ever read states that it should be fed during the growing season but NOT during flowering. So the question is if fertilizing during flowering is not good then is feeding prior to flowering good or only after the blossoms have run the course? It seems like a simple question but I haven't found the answer.
by Oyster Sauce

• marco buijsman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 312

Replied by marco buijsman on topic Fertilizing hawthorn

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68406

Oyster Sauce wrote:
I have been led to believe that fertilizing while in bloom is not a good idea. Is that not true?

That's true for Satuki Azalea's, because if you do it can cause deformation of the flowers. It's that could be also a problem by other species, I have never heard and I have never seen at my own trees.
by marco buijsman

• Oyster Sauce
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68407

marco buijsman wrote: That's true for Satuki Azalea's, because if you do it can cause deformation of the flowers. It's that could be also a problem by other species, I have never heard and I have never seen at my own trees.

So, you don't think it makes much difference? I mean I probably shouldn't worry about it.
by Oyster Sauce

• marco buijsman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 312

Replied by marco buijsman on topic Fertilizing hawthorn

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68411

Oyster Sauce wrote:

marco buijsman wrote: That's true for Satuki Azalea's, because if you do it can cause deformation of the flowers. It's that could be also a problem by other species, I have never heard and I have never seen at my own trees.

So, you don't think it makes much difference? I mean I probably shouldn't worry about it.

yes you're right..
by marco buijsman

• Oyster Sauce
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Posted 2 years 11 months ago #68420

marco buijsman wrote:

Oyster Sauce wrote:

yes you're right..

Thank you.
by Oyster Sauce