• Page:

TOPIC:

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73409

• Oyster Sauce
  • Oyster Sauce's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 0
I have been growing a pomegranate fusion bonsai from seeds for about 4 years now and it is going quite well. I live in northern Europe and so the pomegranate is outdoors most of the year and brought inside when the temperatures start getting crisp. That’s not been a problem but this year in particular it started growing profusely once I brought it indoors. My problem is that I am tempted to feed it … but should I? And what will happen to these new shoots if I feed or don’t feed?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73410

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
I would not add any fertiliser, you need to slow it down, mine stays outside all year, you need to put it in as cold a place as possible

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73411

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I think you're probably right about not feeding it but the pomegranate would not survive the winter up here without indoor protection. The occasional minus 10 or minus 12 degrees would cause its death for sure.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73412

• lucR
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 487

I think you're probably right about not feeding it but the pomegranate would not survive the winter up here without indoor protection. The occasional minus 10 or minus 12 degrees would cause its death for sure.

Yes, but indoor doesnt mean you bring your tree in your living quarters, which is lethal to trees ( too hot/dry....). Place it in a room/garden shed/garage where temps stay above freezing.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73413

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Mine stayed outside last winter. -10 to -15 for over a week. grew just fine all year. Might be species dependent but.. They are certainly not a tropical species to be kept warm over winter.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73416

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Yes, but indoor doesnt mean you bring your tree in your living quarters, which is lethal to trees ( too hot/dry....). Place it in a room/garden shed/garage where temps stay above freezing.

The pomegranate, bottle brush and ficus ginseng spend winters on a southern-facing window ledge in my living room where the heater is ALWAYS off.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73417

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Mine stayed outside last winter. -10 to -15 for over a week. grew just fine all year. Might be species dependent but.. They are certainly not a tropical species to be kept warm over winter.

-10 to -15 for a week? Wow! I am surprised. Shocked! But this thing about it not being kept warm over winter .... I am growing it from seeds I colleccted from a pomegranate tree in Anzio (IT) and I have also seen them growing along the west coast of Morrocco so I have been under the impression they are accustomed to some hot climates.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73419

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
West Coast of marocco is not hot in winter. It is classified as mediteranean climate and is cold and humid in winter. I dont think that temperature indoors is the biggest problem, but dry air and lack of sunlight.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73420

• Oyster Sauce
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The problem here is unexpected rampant growth. Every year it lost all of its leaves when I brought it indoors but I got used to it knowing that new leaves would eventually replace the old. This time it just started sprouting new shoots everywhere.

Feeding Pomegranate in Winter? 2 years 5 months ago #73421

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
I would definitely try much lover temperature in order to slow the tree down.

• Page: