• Page:

TOPIC:

Dripping System 10 years 6 days ago #10700

• alainleon1983
  • alainleon1983's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 185
The first photo displays 2 sets of 3 containers previously filled with a saline solution. I emptied all six of them and refilled them with regular water.
Next came the connections, that can be seen in the fourth photo... I took 2 three steps valves, connecting 2 of the containers to 1 of those valves and the output of this valve I connected to 1 input of the second valve. Then I finally coupled the third container output to the second valve that still had 1 input unattached. Later I just had to ringed the hose around the trunk of my tree. This process, of course, was repeated for the second set of containers. It sounds a bit tricky but I´m posting a sketch of this too.

Each container has a volume of 1000 ml. 1 ml represents about 20 drops of water, so for each tree there must be roughly 60 thousand drops. (Remember that I placed 3 containers in each system). Now, the next thing to do is to control the dripping or the water flow. I have calculated that if I manage to just let 1 drop fall every 20 seconds or so... there must be enough water to last for the next 14 days approximately.

I honestly don´t know if this will work or not... but it is the best I could come up with. Now, I´m just crossing my fingers for the truth I shall now it when I get back. Still, there are to many variables. I don´t know if it will behave as I´m predicting the whole time. Or if it is enough moisture delivered to my trees within this amount of time. Or if it is too much and the roots might rot.

Well... I hope you enjoy with the photos as much as I enjoyed building it. Say your prayers tonight so my trees can keep on living ;) God knows I´m gonna need all the help I can get :(

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dripping System 10 years 6 days ago #10701

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Well, it looks good let's hope it works. I do know of some growers who use a system for automatic watering, but it connects to the mains. They only like to use it for a short time. I doubt it will be too much, and it could run out, but you have to try. Have you tried running it for a few days?
Geoff.

Dripping System 10 years 6 days ago #10702

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi Geoff...
Well I had it running today all day long and for the time being it seems to be working fine. Of course this is not a guarantee of anything, as you said I should probably have tested for a longer time. Anyways, this is the best that I have and should be enough. I'll keep you posted when I get back. ;)

Dripping System 10 years 11 hours ago #10716

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
As I have not done this at all, what I am about to say could be very wrong: If it's one drop every 20 seconds, and you do this for 2 weeks, the tree might show signs of overwatering, but as I said I could be wrong.

But I have to say, that water system is awesome, I could not have built it for the life of me, well done!

Dripping System 10 years 11 hours ago #10719

• m5eaygeoff
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 853
Not when it is hot., and it will be.

Dripping System 9 years 11 months ago #10723

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Good point, thank you, I did not realise that

Dripping System 9 years 11 months ago #10774

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hi guys...
Well I´m back from my trip and these were the final results of the experiment:

1- My ficus endured perfectly well my absence, largely due to the dripping system that was consumed right on schedule and to the resilience of this species. No problems there.

2- Hate to say that my Cryptomeria hasn´t lived up to the expectations and right now is dying. I don´t think there is anything else I can do. Should say though, that in this case one of the 3 containers didn´t work as it should, so what I initially calculated to last for 15 days, actually lasted for 10 days or so. Therefore my Cryptomeria spent the last week without a single drop of water in a very hot weather. Add to this that Cryps are way more delicate than ficus and the result is understandable.

So...summarizing I´m sad because I lost a beautiful tree that could have been a very nice bonsai specimen and at the same time I´m happy to see the concept of my dripping system proven as well as the fact that my ficus is still standing tall.

Last edit: Post by alainleon1983.

Dripping System 9 years 11 months ago #10775

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thank you so much for your compliments Bob. It wasn't much of a success to me because I lost a tree but I appreciate your previous comment.

Alain

Dripping System 9 years 10 months ago #11230

• Slowhand
  • Thanks received: 6
I agree with Bob that water system is awesome. great effort on trying to save all your trees.
sorry you lost one. i was very impressed on your effort. congrats on your other saves.
well done Alain.

have a good one.
Dave

Dripping System 9 years 10 months ago #11235

• alainleon1983
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Dave... I gotta say I did try my best. The thing with bonsai is that you never stop learning and I loved the process of building it. In the other hand, it really stung me losing that tree... It was beautiful.

Alain

• Page: