Bonsai, general care

• lmfcruz61
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0

Bonsai, general care was created by lmfcruz61

Posted 6 years 7 months ago #35561
Hello.
I am more or less starting bonsai.
I have some pre bonsai Ficus, juniperus, ulmus, buxus, orange tree, olive tree.
here in Portugal is late summer and i am in north. temperatures now are about 22 ºC and is starting to rain.
What can i do to this plants now? Wiring? Pruning? changing pot? Other things?
Thank you!
Kind regards
Luis
by lmfcruz61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zrocker04
  • Thanks received: 0

Replied by Zrocker04 on topic Bonsai, general care

Posted 6 years 6 months ago #36000
If they are pre keep them in a larger pot to grow until they are ready for a bonsai pot. You can pinch shoots on the juniper most of the year (wouldnt during winter) and the ficus, but again you will probably want to let them grow freely. Repot in spring before new leaves emerge (bugs should becoming larger but no leaves yet) and you can do pruning then. Not sure the best time to wire, i don't think anytime would be bad, just want to make sure you aren't harming the branches, but i doubt wiring at any time would kill them.

I know you are anxious to get to work on them as bonsai, but it's a very patient hobby, I'm in the same boat haha.
by Zrocker04

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35

Replied by Travi51 on topic Bonsai, general care

Posted 6 years 6 months ago #36016
I agree patience. If you can't plant them in the ground get a big pot and let them grow for a few years
by Travi51

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic Bonsai, general care

Posted 6 years 6 months ago #36032

lmfcruz61 wrote: I am more or less starting bonsai.
I have some pre bonsai Ficus, juniperus, ulmus, buxus, orange tree, olive tree.What can i do to this plants now? Wiring? Pruning? changing pot? Other things?

General care instructions would be to give them the proper watering, light, fertilization.

However, you have selected several different species with different requirements. Giving specific guidelines for each one of them is not really doable.

I suggest you start studying. Look up every species and its requirements, care guidelines, and required pruning/wiring/repotting techniques and periods for applying these techniques.
by Auk