Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Good Zone 4 hardy species for root-over-rock? 6 years 8 months ago #34916

• sparklemotion
  • sparklemotion's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi,

I'm distracting myself from messing with my current trees by planning future acquisitions. I like the idea of sticking a bunch of cheap trees in the ground now/soonish, for potential material in a couple years or so.

One thing that I would like down the road would be to have some trees that I can use to experiment with root-over-rock styles (rock collecting is another hobby of mine, and I've definitely gotten the suiseki bug so I'd like to bring that full circle).

I know that Ficus sp. takes well to root-over-rock, but my indoor grow-space is limited so I'd like to get something that I can keep outdoors year-round, especially during the first few ugly years.

So, what should I be thinking of adding to my (probably in-ground) bonsai nursery this fall/next spring? Bonus points if it's native and/or invasive to the area around the Twin Cities, Minnesota (for yamadori potential) or easy/cheap to find in standard MN nurseries.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good Zone 4 hardy species for root-over-rock? 6 years 8 months ago #34932

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
I'm not sure of your surrounding area but I have a maple I am going to do root over rock in the near future, it has a good root structure for it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: