Bonsai forum

JBP, how many flushes are possible?

• NatedavB0175A1
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 17

JBP, how many flushes are possible? was created by NatedavB0175A1

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48319
Having trouble updating my profile so here is background. Live in central Texas, temps already in 90s F, black pines candles have elongated, needles emerging and separating although not fully hardened. I usually pull needles in spring to balance growth, cut starting july, shoot select in fall. This gives me 2 solid flushes but the needles arte longer than desired. I could cut later, maybe August and early September... Still 2 flushes. Can I somehow get more than 2 flushes per growing season, 3 or 4 perhaps? I would assume this requires, earlier candle cutting and constant fertilization. Can anyone shed some light on this topic?
by NatedavB0175A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic JBP, how many flushes are possible?

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48322
Needle size reduction is of no concern if you do not have an established Bonsai yet
by Auk

• NatedavB0175A1
  • Offline Topic Author

Replied by NatedavB0175A1 on topic JBP, how many flushes are possible?

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48323
Trees are in refinement, looking to compress the branches, shorten needles, increase ramification. It's of the size, shape, taper I want. This is not a discussion of whether a not my JBPs are bonsai or not, or if needs more development. It is in a container and I have been training many for several years. So feel free to contribute to the discussion/ query... If unable to do so, you may remain silent.
by NatedavB0175A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: PrettyLarceny

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic JBP, how many flushes are possible?

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48326
More than two flushes per season, if possible at all, would weaken the tree a lot, wouldn't it?
by Clicio
The following user(s) said Thank You: NatedavB0175A1

• NatedavB0175A1
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48328
That would definitely be a concern if done yearly without reprieve. Although these pines to my understanding are coastal, and have adapted to be able to flush out multiple times. They experience monsoons seasonally and because of their adaptations can flush out to recover from lost limbs by growing. But in their native enviroment they are not containerized and that in my belief changes the game. If its possible to get more than 2 flushes a year safely I would like to get specifics. Just trying to advance my knowledge and practice.
by NatedavB0175A1

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Replied by leatherback on topic JBP, how many flushes are possible?

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48333
I am not aware of Black pines getting -or needing- more than 2 flushes in a year. Rather, I would look at your watering & pot size for needle reduction. What I see in pines around me, those that are longest established in pots, and/or are kept driest have the shortest needles.

I heard an interesting argument the other day, that delaying the sorting of buds, and keeping more buds at each terminal, would result in smaller needles too. Personally, I do not think this is a good idea. but maybe it is and may help you?
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: NatedavB0175A1

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48334
Just wondering.. Do you know this article? I had to look for it, but this I foung helpfull when I needed som JBP info.

bonsaitonight.com/2016/07/22/decandling-...ine-bonsai-overview/
by leatherback
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, NatedavB0175A1

• NatedavB0175A1
  • Offline Topic Author

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48341
LB good suggestions in regards to container size, that's definitely will helpwith needles reduction. A small container due to its limited size will definitely help. I, however, won't be repotting any of the pines for at least another 2 years. I personally don't withhold water from any of my plants, I don't think its a very solid practice. I feel it stresses the trees, and there is exponential risk of loss if the trees due to under watering. I only water my pines 1x a day (those in bonsai container) during spring, summerand early fall. I feel due to limited capacity of small container to hold water, combined with constant 90s-100s F temps seen in Texas watering is essential. I may not water pines for a week or more at a time during the colder and wetter parts of the year. Anyways, I know the article you mentioned, it's been a favorite of mine for a while. Thanks for your input.
by NatedavB0175A1

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Replied by Auk on topic JBP, how many flushes are possible?

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48343

NatedavB0175A1 wrote: Trees are in refinement, looking to compress the branches, shorten needles, increase ramification. It's of the size, shape, taper I want.

Excellent. I'd like to see a picture.
My BP's have two flushes. I remove the first ones (leaving the ones I need). I may break candles and leave half or less, or more, depending on the requirement. They do not give me more than 2 flushes.

If unable to do so, you may remain silent.

Be nice. Thanks. Telling you want NOT to do is useful too.
by Auk

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Posted 5 years 2 weeks ago #48348
I am sure you are aware but.. Increased ramification in and of itself will lead to reduced needle size; Aging and denser canopies are all factors. none fo them you can influence in any way but time & proper maintenance. :cheer:
by leatherback