Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Is there a way to train pine trees to have shorter needles? 2 years 3 months ago #74304

• Wes V.
  • Wes V.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 17
I have a Japanese black pine that I would love to eventually train as bonsai. The needles are too long and wouldn't appear to be a miniature tree. How would I train it to have shorter needles?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is there a way to train pine trees to have shorter needles? 2 years 3 months ago #74310

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1352
Smaller pots, root prunning, less fertilizer building ramification and candle pinching. All techniques used on pine bonsais will shorten neadles and internodes.

Last edit: Post by Tropfrog.

Is there a way to train pine trees to have shorter needles? 2 years 3 months ago #74311

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
The main technique here is candle pruning. Japanese black pine can re-flush in summer, if at the right time this years' growth is clipped off. The needles on that growth do not have a lot of time to develop. As such, they are shorter. This is combined with the reduction of the number of needles left on each branch over winter, so that less energy is captured to grow the next year.

Harry has a few good articles on this: bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATPine%20Pruning%20Page2.html

• Page: