Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Compost tea and beneficials 9 years 7 months ago #12700

• JMoney
  • JMoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10
I don't see a lot on this form about compost teas, so I am going to lay out a set of directions so anyone can make their own. The benefits of compost tea speak for themselves in a trees vigor when applied on a regular basis.

I start with 5 gallons of dechlorinated water with a ph between 6 and 7 preferably 6.5
I then put an air pump in it with an air-stone and let bubble for 15 to 20 min before I start.
Once the water is ready I take a painters bad and add my compost and then hang it in the bucket making sure not to let it touch the bottom.
I then add all my ingredients.

5 cups General Hydroponics Ancient Forrest compost (You may use any compost you would like, I just find this a reasonably priced compost with earthworm castings.)
2 Tablespoons Molases
1 Tablespoon Humic Acid (I use General Hydroponics Diamond Nectar)
1 Tablespoon Seaweed (I use General Hydroponics Floralicious)
1 Teaspoon Great White Mycorrhizae
1 Teaspoon General Hydroponics Sub culture B (probiotic beneficial bacteria, for high salt environments)

Let all these ingredients brew with continuos air for 2 to 3 days, or until no molasses smell remains (meaning all the food has been eaten).
Then dilute to 50/50 with water and apply generously to trees. If you don't have that many trees you can apply at full strength with no ill effects.

A note, if at any time your tea becomes anaerobic or in laymen's terms, goes without air for more than a little while, the batch could go bad and you must throw it out and start again. Do not apply anything that does not smell clean and earthy. If it smell rank, it is.
I apply this formula throughout the growing season every 2 weeks and right after any transplant. It keeps my root system healthy and disease away. It really helps in container growing. If you buy all the above products they will last about 1 to 1.5 growing seasons so it goes a long ways. You can also use it at full strength as a foliar spray to act as a preventative treatment of disease.

Obviously there are as many compost tea recopies as people, so everyone has their own way. This is just what I do and I recommend that you read up on it a little before trying this or any other compost tea recipe, so you not only know how to use it, but why. There is a lot of you tube videos showing how its done. I also use a lot of General Hydroponics products because they are the best bang for the buck. They have already been tested tried and true in commercial hydroponics so you know what to expect. If you have your own formula please feel free to share it. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Compost tea and beneficials 9 years 7 months ago #12705

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
This is quite interesting, so is this a DIY organic feed?

Compost tea and beneficials 9 years 7 months ago #12706

• JMoney
  • JMoney's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 10
No this is not a feed, it's ment to be used along side your normal nutrient regiment.
In the wild microlizel and beneficial microbes are naturally present and thriving in established areas.
In man made pots these beneficials are only present if we introduce them, in one form or another.
This formula will provide all the beneficials your trees will need to break down decaying plant matter and keep your root system healthy and inoculated.
I highly recommend reading up on benafical microbes, microlizale and fungi.

Last edit: Post by JMoney.

Compost tea and beneficials 9 years 7 months ago #12707

• bob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 175
Oh, okay, now i get you, yes. I have bio gold and my instructor said that it helps with the right bacteria.. And i have layer of sphagnum moss which can help that bacteria, i will give your recipe try, thanks ;)

• Page: