TOPIC:

The van meer technique . 8 years 2 months ago #18828

• Enaisio
  • Enaisio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Hi all,
I recently stumbled across this article ofbonsai.org/techniques/styles-and-styli...e-van-meer-technique
Then , on the same day , the Hans Van Meer name came up on Hoe Chuah's post on his ficus.
I thought this technique was very interesting and would like to use it on one of my trees that need chopped down this year.
Does anybody have any comments on this technique or think its not a good idea considering that i am a newb ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: alainleon1983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The van meer technique . 8 years 2 months ago #18829

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I have tried it. Did not work as well as promised, but better than expected.

I am not convinced it will always work. Effectively, it will work on species that produce a lot of callus, and are strong. It is not worth the hassle on small wounds (Say, smaller then 3cm in diameter) as these smaller wounds heal over in 1-2 years anyway.

It is a form of grafting, but grafting the bark back on itself. Only if enough growth is present, will it take, that is my assumption.

The van meer technique . 8 years 2 months ago #18854

• Enaisio
  • Enaisio's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 67
Ok thanks for the input ,the tree i was going to try it on was a japanese quince ,wich i think is quite fast growing , and the thickness of the trunk where i wnt to cut it is about 2 inch diameter but i want to airlayer it before the cut.
I will see closer to the time if it is worth it.
thanks
Nico

• Page: