Bonsai forum

TOPIC:

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42435

• Mimo
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 921

Time by time I control to touching the plastic or put the pinkie through an upper hole. If I feel it’s missing some moisture, I just spray the whole thing and the holes take care for the rest

Moist holes are very important in this whole multiplying game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42444

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
Not sure why you would want to remove them. Don't you want to keep the plant below too?

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42448

• Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

Not sure why you would want to remove them. Don't you want to keep the plant below too?

Yes, just I would like to cut shorter. That two new shoots came between the layering (up) and the point where I want to cut (down), so they’ll be discarded when I cut the layer from the mother plant.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last edit: Post by Felidae.

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42457

• crent89
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 230

A general question on layering. How do you keep the soil inside the plastic moist? When I have tried it here birds peck holes in the plastic and the dirt dries out.

to keep the moisture in my air layers i use a cooking syringe. but i make sure not to add to much water but to only keep it moist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clicio, Felidae

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42463

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I think I would leave it for the time being. The plant needs all the growth it can have, adding to the energy storage to deal with the chopping down later on.

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42470

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I think I would leave it for the time being. The plant needs all the growth it can have, adding to the energy storage to deal with the chopping down later on.

Thanks LB, I’ll let them. :)
I need just a little more info to understand why.
I wanted to cut them down to give back the energy for the lower branches which ones also extending/budding and will be kept. What I understood, the energy for those new sprouts still in the trunk, and if I cut them down, that energy will be distributed for other growth on the tree.
I know that more foliage means the tree can collect more energy.
Can the tree win more if I let those sprout extending and cutting them down just when it’s time to separate the layers, instead put that energy for the permanent branches?

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42475

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
In general I would say: more foliage = more energy. If the plant decides it wants to grow up there, let it. Else, it will only try to create buds again high up.You now have energy producing leaves on the trunk.

I do not believe in energy being wasted. It will be a few weeks ebfore you separate. And after that, you get to decide when you cut back your base. You could leave the top on, and in winter cut back to size. That way, you will overall have collected more energy..

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42479

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

In general I would say: more foliage = more energy. If the plant decides it wants to grow up there, let it. Else, it will only try to create buds again high up.You now have energy producing leaves on the trunk.

I do not believe in energy being wasted. It will be a few weeks ebfore you separate. And after that, you get to decide when you cut back your base. You could leave the top on, and in winter cut back to size. That way, you will overall have collected more energy..

That’s it!! Thanks ^^! I won’t cut it back till late autumn. It’s a win-win situation.

It was too late to acting, but I thought about the possibility of a torque made, just a bit above where I want to cut back the tree (same time when I layer). If it could stop the flow lower, on my logic, those buds can forming just on the right place. Could this be a good solution, if the next time I need to deal with similar type of material?

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42482

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am a big fan of letting nature decide. That being said.. The budding lives of sap flow from the roots, upwards. The same sap that feeds your layer.. That is not in the bark, but in the sapwood. So no, this would not help. The absence of growth hormones coming from through your cut bark above wake the buds in the base section of your tree.

Last edit: Post by leatherback.

Air layering nursery Ginkgo 5 years 8 months ago #42483

• Felidae
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I am a big fan of letting nature decide. That being said.. The budding lives of sap flow from the roots, upwards. The same sap that feeds your layer.. That is not in the bark, but in the sapwood. So no, this would not help. The absence of growth hormones coming from through your cut bark above wake the buds in the base section of your tree.

Oki, Thanks :) Thats an explanation also, why could be more than one air layer site done inlay.