Notice

The forum is in read only mode.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mutation or Prebonsai? Also, air layering questions 5 years 9 months ago #42330

• KrisM
  • KrisM's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hey everyone! I’m new to bonsai and recently tried out some air layering in my yard. My magnolia has this little sucker that looks like a mini magnolia already. Does anyone know why this sucker has mini leaves and branches unlike the other suckers that have normal sized leaves? Is it a mutation or just a gift from the bonsai gods? I’m trying to air layer it and hopefully will be able to keep it alive.

Once I cut it from the parent plant, does it go in a regular pot or a shallow pot? Also, should I use regular potting soil or bonsai soil to start out with? Thanks for your help!

Kris

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Mutation or Prebonsai? Also, air layering questions 5 years 9 months ago #42331

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Hey everyone! I’m new to bonsai and recently tried out some air layering in my yard. My magnolia has this little sucker that looks like a mini magnolia already.

Mutations within a tree do happen and in some cases this does indeed give variation that's suitable for bonsai.
In this case however I do not see anything that can be used for bonsai.

Once I cut it from the parent plant, does it go in a regular pot or a shallow pot? Also, should I use regular potting soil or bonsai soil to start out with?

Nope. Bonsai are not created by putting young plants in small pots with bonsai soil. Start studying the basics.

Mutation or Prebonsai? Also, air layering questions 5 years 9 months ago #42337

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Magnolia are frequently grafted. The roots are of a spcies with no/uninteresting flowers. But very strong roots. Then they graft a nice variety on top for the flowers & foliage. Probably what you have is a sucker from the rootstock.

Plant it out in a large pot, and decide how you want to turn it into a bonsai, and make a plan.
  • Page: