TOPIC:

Graft separation 5 years 8 months ago #42635

• Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236
Hey :)
Is it safe to discard a grafted cultivar from the rootstock, while I repot the plant on spring? The specimen is a field elm.

I’m sure you’ll ask for a picture.. Better not.

The longer story:
First I was thinking it must be ok, cause I keep in balance the tree up and down, and I should do this on the right time.
After it came to my mind, this theory applies, if we leave at least some foliage on the plant.. My so called balance just blown on the wind... If I chop down after fall, and we get a heatwave, it’ll budding and can cost it’s life. If I chop down on summer, no time to recover until fall. I even thinking to air layering just on the right place on next summer, despite I don’t need the upper part. I know those elms are pretty hardy, but I have no idea how much is too much for them... Please help debunking..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Graft separation 5 years 8 months ago #42646

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
I think I would .. Remove the grafted part once dormant. Then, when the tree starts to wake up in spring it realizes it does nto have any active buds, and will create them. So by the time you have buds moving, you can repot as per normal.

The plant is healthy and strong now?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Felidae

Graft separation 5 years 8 months ago #42653

• Felidae
  • Felidae's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 236

I think I would .. Remove the grafted part once dormant. Then, when the tree starts to wake up in spring it realizes it does nto have any active buds, and will create them. So by the time you have buds moving, you can repot as per normal.

The plant is healthy and strong now?

Thanks LB :) I didn’t knew we can work on them in winter.
Yes, looks healthy, just ugly.

• Page: