Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Red Dragon air layer and curttings 5 years 8 months ago #43522

• GreenHands420
  • GreenHands420's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hello everyone,

Got this Japanese maple “red dragon” and was wondering if anyone had any advice for doing some cutting. I have have not done anything to it yet but let it grow. I was wondering if it’s a good time of the year to propogate cuttings and what method to use. I also plan on starting an air layer sometime this week because it is a bit tall so I want to shrink it down a bit. Any advice on air layer would be great. I know the basic fundamentals and fell I can successfully do it but it wouldn’t hurt to have more help

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Red Dragon air layer and curttings 5 years 8 months ago #43523

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549
Welcome!
I think the air layer is a good idea in this tree.
I don't know exactly where you are located, but here I would wait for the Spring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GreenHands420

Red Dragon air layer and curttings 5 years 8 months ago #43524

• GreenHands420
I beleive I am in the Zone 8b southeast US. Would the layering developer faster during that time in spring? Or would it just not succeed at all if I did it right now? I wouldn’t cultivate until maybe the spring of next year if i started now. But still open to suggestions. What would be a good high to leave from the first branch when air layering something like this?

Red Dragon air layer and curttings 5 years 8 months ago #43529

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
Start air layers at the beginning of the growing season. That is the time it works best, and once roots have formed you still have time to get them established beefore winter arrives.

That being sad.. I am not sure you should put the effort in this plant. The cultivar is not too well suited for bonsai, with long internodes, brittle wood and in general a coarse growth form. I would look for a more traditional cultivar, ideally the 'wild' japanese maple.

Red Dragon air layer and curttings 5 years 8 months ago #43553

• GreenHands420
Thank you Leatherback,

I understand that tree is in pretty rough shape and that it might not be the best material to start with. I actually got it two years ago for a really great price and back then I was still not sure about how to tackle the maintance. I believe I will try to trim it back slowly over a few growing seasons. I know it’s not a good idea to to trim it all the way back at first so maybe after reducing after a couple of growing season will help make it look more compacted and with a cleaner canopy. Further I believe I would want to use this tree as for grafting. I know I can propogate seedlings and then graft the cuttings onto the rootstock which I believe will be a great start to bonsai’s. Even though I am aware this variety is very slow growing and a graft could take multiple years to even be ready for training. Just other thoughts and ideas on how to use the tree for further benefits.

• Page: