Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 8 months ago #51993

• Mbalbo
  • Mbalbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi All, new to the forum and new to bonsai. I’ve air layered a prunus in my yard and the bag is now filling up with roots. I’d like to train this as a bonsai but I’m not entirely sure what is the best next step. Obviously I’ll have to part the air layer off of the main tree, but then what? The branch is about an inch and a half in diameter at its base and probably five feet tall. Do I cut back the height at the same time I plant it? Do I let the roots establish first? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 8 months ago #51994

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

The branch is about an inch and a half in diameter at its base and probably five feet tall.

I don't know how big that is. There are only three countries in the world that use these units, and that's Liberia, Myanmar and another one... forgot which one, sorry, it'll come back to me later.

First thing I think you need to do is (after separating it) make sure it can systain itself by planting or potting it and letting it grow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mbalbo

Last edit: Post by Auk.

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 7 months ago #52865

• Mbalbo
  • Mbalbo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
How long before chopping the trunk?

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 7 months ago #52866

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603

The branch is about an inch and a half in diameter at its base and probably five feet tall.

I don't know how big that is. There are only three countries in the world that use these units, and that's Liberia, Myanmar and another one... forgot which one, sorry, it'll come back to me later.

Auk's usually metered response. He does like to pound on it. Auk, stop, you're kiloing me.

BTW, Google converts pretty easily, or you can just remember 2.54 cm = 1 inch or 10 cm = 4 inches.
The following user(s) said Thank You: leatherback

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 7 months ago #52868

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

you can just remember 2.54 cm = 1 inch or 10 cm = 4 inches.

I work for an international organization and have to do with calculations based on dimensions, so yeah, I know.
It just surprises me that people think Inch and Fahrenheit are a standard, while only a few countries still use it.

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 7 months ago #52871

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
What is really surprising is the politicians saying Americans aren't smart enough to use metric, when the American military converted to metric in the fifties.

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 7 months ago #52878

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654
I dont know why people care that some people use a different standard. As long as it is clear which units are used, where is the problem.

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 7 months ago #52891

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Getting a little away from Air Layering

It really doesn't matter much, except that it is a lot cheaper to make cars and other things in one measuring system, so you only have to have one factory.

I have to have two sets of socket wrenches, etc., and usually can't find the other set. The Toyota place down here only has to have metric tools. There is also the issue that when I say, "A branch an inch thick" I don't really mean I measured it, I really mean it's thicker than my finger, and those who don't use inches every day have to stop and think about it.

One of the probes going to Mars was lost when the midcourse correction software used English instead of Metric constants with Metric inputs. Many billions of dollars.

Air layer from a Krauter Vesuvius 4 years 7 months ago #52896

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3654

Getting a little away from Air Layering

It really doesn't matter much, except that it is a lot cheaper to make cars and other things in one measuring system, so you only have to have one factory.

I have to have two sets of socket wrenches, etc., and usually can't find the other set. The Toyota place down here only has to have metric tools. There is also the issue that when I say, "A branch an inch thick" I don't really mean I measured it, I really mean it's thicker than my finger, and those who don't use inches every day have to stop and think about it.

One of the probes going to Mars was lost when the midcourse correction software used English instead of Metric constants with Metric inputs. Many billions of dollars.

Of course. But we are here on a bonsai forum. Not building rockets. Let people use metric or not. As long as it is clear which unit is used I see no point in harassing people over it.

• Page: