Bonsai forum

Grafting roots on a forest grown beech tree

• Beiermann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Grafting roots on a forest grown beech tree was created by Beiermann

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54976
Okay, this is a first for me. I found a good looking beechtree growing in the wild. It's not yamadori grade, but it has all the right properties to in time become a good bonsai. My problem is that the tree is growing on a rock, with little dirt for the roots to grow in. So the tree has grown thick taproots down the sides of the rock and in to the ground, so there is no feeder roots for me to be able to cut the tap roots to be able to take it safely out and start growing it to become a bonsai.

So I was thinking of mybe trying to graft feeder roots and add a mix of spagnum, akadama and local dirt on top of the rock. To one day have the roots to take it out.
Anyone have any experience with this kinda thing ? In theory it is doable, just figured I should get all the info I could before starting a probably 2/3 year long growing project.
by Beiermann

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

Replied by Clicio on topic Grafting roots on a forest grown beech tree

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54978

Beiermann wrote: So the tree has grown thick taproots down the sides of the rock and in to the ground, so there is no feeder roots

Welcome Beiermann.
Well, I am quite sure there are feeder roots below the thicker ones around the rock.
Is the rock too big to be incorporated into the project as a roots over rock style?
The roots you showed in the picture are well positioned and will form a radial nebari if they stay somehow.
Is there any branch growing low or is the trunk leggy?
Sounds like a very interesting project.
BTW, how did you get authorisation to collect this tree from the wild?
by Clicio

• Beiermann
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2

Replied by Beiermann on topic Grafting roots on a forest grown beech tree

Posted 4 years 4 months ago #54983
Hey, yes I hope there are feeder roots down there haha. And yes the rock is abit to big for a root over rock. I agree, it will do for a good nebari in some years if I can me this to work, and for the land and legality. I own the land, good thing about beeing Norwegian is that there are large old family land. And as for the ones who don't own land, it's not a problem. Just ask the people who do own the land and they are most of the time happy to let you collect on there property. But I find that hood hunting grounds are hard to come by, I spend alot of time walking with a GPS to find the right conditions.
As for the branches, they are almost perfectly placed. And the trunk is not the thickest but in time I can make it work. I hope to grow new roots to fill in the gaps between the roots, as this hopefully will give me the roots I need to bring it out safely and help with forming a good nebari.
by Beiermann