Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Acer Air Layerong 3 years 1 month ago #65762

• RyanC88
  • RyanC88's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hey all

Would this be suitable to air layer? Any suggestion on what a good point to do it would be?

New to it so thanks in advance

Ryan

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Acer Air Layerong 3 years 1 month ago #65765

• Tropfrog
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1326
I just air layer what I dont think suits the donour tree. That way a non succesful air layer is not a catastrophy. With that said I would air layer the left thick branch in the first photo.

Acer Air Layerong 3 years 1 month ago #65769

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
If you need more plants, you could layer several parts. THe clump on top. Then where you hold your hand and use the curved branch.

Acer Air Layerong 3 years 1 month ago #65838

• FrankC
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 160
I would layer it under the top, so you got a nice multi stem.
And as LB already said, make a few on different places

Acer Air Layerong 2 years 11 months ago #67871

• BonsaiMackem
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi everyone,

Long time no see. Been about 4 years since I last posted. I have spent all this time in hospital suffering from a crisis of confidence. So bad were things becoming for me I felt I had little option than to stop my interest in Bonsai. I mean I was struggling so badly. Things just weren't working out. And I know why. I have a...problem in life. It is a little known learning and developmental thing which I never discussed with anyone on here. It manifests itself as a difficulty with hand-eye-coordination/motor skills/dexterity. So finer work such as anything using the wire was hard for me. And also I find remembering and processing any decent sized amount of complex information hard to do too. So a list of tasks to achieve an end product cannot guarantee the work being carried out precisely as requested

But I am back to give it another go and I really ant to make a better go of it. I have a Juniper, a Pyrocantha and also a Maple. The Maple at the bottom has a big kink in it. But the entire section in the pic does seem perfect for air-layering.

I think I need to carve a section of trunk down to the Cambium (I think it's called that). Dust with rooting powder. Apply wet Sphagnum Moss (which I have) around it and hold it in place with sheeting of some kind. This for about 5-6 weeks I think (according to expert UK Bonsai teacher Peter Chan) and after that time put it in a pot of Sphagnum moss where the new roots can grow.

What I would love to know is when is the best time to do this?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

• Page: