• Page:

TOPIC:

Air layering baobabs 10 months 3 weeks ago #80298

• Ivan Mann
  • Ivan Mann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 603
I have a baobab that for many years has not agreed to look like a bonsai. It is too tall, maybe 1.5 meter but there aren't any lower branches, except for two about 20 cm height.

I decided earlier a good plan is air layer, getting a nice thick trunk for one tree and getting decent branches for the other. Plan was to air layer in about a week, when I get back from vacation.

How damp would I want to keep the sphagnum moss? If I keep it constantly damp to moist, does that cause root rot? OTOH, letting it dry out seems like it would kill roots just forming.

Are there other special considerations for baobab?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Air layering baobabs 9 months 3 weeks ago #80744

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Google can't find any reference to air layering baobabs, so I will take that as meaning it doesn't work.

A few sites indicate that you can cut a chunk of tree off, put it in water, and roots will grow. I guess I will try that, but I have some anticipation about it working. There are also a couple of sites telling about cuttings, and I may try that.

I feel I am over my head here.

Air layering baobabs 9 months 3 weeks ago #80750

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
I have no experience with this species. But I have my doubts about a desert species rooting in water. Just sounds so wrong to me. There are no logic in a desert species developing an ability to strike roots in water. Just makes no sense to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ivan Mann

Air layering baobabs 9 months 3 weeks ago #80758

• Ivan Mann
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I have no experience with this species. But I have my doubts about a desert species rooting in water. Just sounds so wrong to me. There are no logic in a desert species developing an ability to strike roots in water. Just makes no sense to me.

That us why I am hesitating. It just doesn't sound right. The directions said it might take a year, and that doesn't sound right, either.

Quite a few sites mentioned cuttings, and they said to let the cutting dry out, with specific directions that agreed, mostly. Maybe I will try making a cutting out of the entire top, or maybe three.

I'll report on what works or doesn't work.

Air layering baobabs 9 months 3 weeks ago #80761

• Tropfrog
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1351
Sounds about right to me to take cutting, let dry and plant. Looking forward for your findings.

• Page: