• Page:

TOPIC: Fig Air Layering

Fig Air Layering 5 years 11 months ago #6523

There are 2 Fig trees in the front of my house that have been there for a many years, planted from the owner and producing wonderful fruit. Actually 2 "multi trunk" i should say.
So i decided to have a go on "air layering" and try my hand on that.
I used damp sphagnum moss only and NOT rooting powder. I air layered in two different spots (One on each tree). I air layered on July 18th (witch i thought it might have been too late) but the results are amazing i think. See photos attached.

I am not quite sure when to cut and pot. Also i need suggestions on the first type of soil i should use.
Many thanks,
Greg

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• tsimbis
  • tsimbis's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1

Fig Air Layering 5 years 11 months ago #6524

Again me, with pictures from the second air-layer.The first post would not load all of them.
Thanks!

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

• tsimbis

Fig Air Layering 5 years 11 months ago #6526

Both of them look like they have rooted well. I would cut them of. Just leave a bit of wood underneath. Don't try to get as close to the roots as possible: You'll only damage them. Put them in a pot, out of the wind and directsun and make sure the tree can't move for the next weeks; otherwise it may spin in the wind and break the roots. When you repot next year, removve the leftover stump underneath the roots.
  • leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1485

Fig Air Layering 5 years 11 months ago #6528

just a tip i learned...wrap 2 wires around each a/l like wireing a branch and leave a good amount below where you cut and use them as ancores . doing this before the branch is cut is soooo much easier than after. it sucks when you pot a cutting only to have it fall out of the pot when you pick it up
The following user(s) said Thank You: Irka-Plyushka
  • manofthetrees
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 190

Fig Air Layering 5 years 11 months ago #6531

I did pretty the same thing, the beginning of this year. Cutting it off now is just perfect. I used normal potting soil mixed with a bit of extra palm peat, but that's not necessary. I started using organic fertilizer about 3 weeks after potting it up, and it grew like made. Here is a link. Soon i will post pics of it in its bonsai pot.
  • MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

Fig Air Layering 5 years 11 months ago #6532

• MWid
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 45

Fig Air Layering 5 years 11 months ago #6534

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I will cut off the branches within the next few days, and post progression.
  • tsimbis
  • Page: