• Page:

TOPIC:

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24231

• tubaboy
  • tubaboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 170
I know that this pine is not the best material, but I'm thinking of trying to air layer it next spring. My thoughts are right above the lowest group of branches. Do you have any other suggestions?
This would be my first attempt at air layering.. so if you think it is way too hard I'm open to advice.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24322

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Or any general ideas for this tree?

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24323

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1791

Or any general ideas for this tree?

I did not reply as I did not want to write yet another negative advice... but no, I would not try airlayering it. White pines are often grafted onto black pines, as black pines are more vigorous. White pines are harder to keep healthy on their own root stock. So... I expect that an air layered white pine just won't do good.

Further, the advice is as usual: let it grow, focus on growing a decent trunk. In short: grow low branches, keep the higher branches shorter (but do check this article, and other articles about growing / fattening up trunks):

www.growingbonsai.net/growing-bonsai/growing-trunks/
The following user(s) said Thank You: tubaboy

Last edit: Post by Auk.

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24324

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks.. I can take the negative.. especially the: don't air layer.. as instead of the inteded two plants, I could end up with no plants. :-) Unfortunately many nursaries only use a stock foto of the trees they sell, so I could't check out this plant specifically.

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24325

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thanks.. I can take the negative.. especially the: don't air layer.. as instead of the inteded two plants, I could end up with no plants. :-) Unfortunately many nursaries only use a stock foto of the trees they sell, so I could't check out this plant specifically.

Oh... seems I partly misunderstood your plans. Yes, you can chop it, it should not give a problem with the bottom part. So, if that's your plan, you may as well try to air layer the top, rather than throwing it away. I'd air layer it fairly high above the place where you would chop it, as there may be die-back. You can work on that later.

I'd probably do that above the second whorl of branches, and choose one to become a new leader. As usual, it's hard to tell from a photo, without actually being able to see the tree.

Still, I'd probably let it grow for a year or two, three, to fatten up the trunk first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tubaboy

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24338

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
What kind of branch makes a good new leader? a long one? or a short one?

to the left and right of my finger are two longer ones that I would consider using, but I could be wrong.

The earliest I would consider doing this of course is next year, but I may let it go another year after that.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24343

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

What kind of branch makes a good new leader? a long one? or a short one?

The one that has the most side-branches, close to the trunk.

to the left and right of my finger are two longer ones that I would consider using, but I could be wrong.

you do need two indeed. One for the new leader, one for a side branch. Probably you'd want the two opposite to eachother, so that branch will be on the outside. Not sure if what I mean is clear...

The earliest I would consider doing this of course is next year, but I may let it go another year after that.

Good. Meanwhile, don't trust my advice, look up white pines and learn. You know the difference between single-flush and dual flush pines?

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24353

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
single flush means only one growth spurt through the candles, right? this white pine is single flush. I have a mountain pine (pinus mugro) that is pushing out a second set of needles. So I would assume that means it is double flush.

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24357

• Auk
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

single flush means only one growth spurt through the candles, right? this white pine is single flush. I have a mountain pine (pinus mugro) that is pushing out a second set of needles. So I would assume that means it is double flush.

No, Mugo is single flush too. Difference is that you can decandle a dual-flush pine, and it will form new buds. A single flush pine works differently.
I posted this link before, you may already have read it:

crataegus.com/2016/04/14/big-difference-...reaking-pine-shoots/

white pine air layering 7 years 7 months ago #24360

• tubaboy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
ok. I read something about this in the book I have also. But that's an important difference. I'll look around for it too, but is it normal that the candle would push out a second set of needles after the first set is completely out?

• Page: