Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Plumeria as bonsai? 6 years 8 months ago #34380

• imadragonkeeper
  • imadragonkeeper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
Has anyone ever done bonsai with a Plumeria? I'm thinking the leaves may be too large but the flowers are so pretty and smell wonderful. I'm very new to bonsai and I really like the look of the indoor Bonsai trees that have flowers. I plan to order some cuttings soon so any tips you all have would be greatly appreciated. If they can't be done as bonsai I will just end up with a lovely indoor tree that smells terrific so its pretty much win-win either way in my book:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Plumeria as bonsai? 6 years 8 months ago #34391

• BonsaiGrasshopper7
  • Thanks received: 1
I don't think plumeria or frangipani is a good bonsai choice, the leaves are far too big . Suitable indoor bonsai that flower are pomegranate and lagerstroemia. make sure the suggested species get plenty of sunlight
The following user(s) said Thank You: imadragonkeeper

Plumeria as bonsai? 6 years 8 months ago #34394

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
"a lovely indoor tree"
I think you have a mistake in your idea of bonsai. Typicvally, you grow bonsai outside. Indoors the conditions are just not good enough to develop trees to the level that they can become a bonsai. That being said, some people are willing to spend their life savings on climate systems and manage to create the right environment, but that is really a step too far for most people starting out.

Start off with plants that grow well in your climate. Once you get the hang of growing bonsai you can consider growing indoors.

Plumeria as bonsai? 6 years 8 months ago #34398

• Travi51
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thanks received: 35
I agree, the best tree for a beggener I think would be a juniper. They are very forgiving and look great.

Plumeria as bonsai? 6 years 8 months ago #34408

• imadragonkeeper
  • imadragonkeeper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 2
In the case of Plumeria I would have to have it indoors - at least most of the time as it's tropical and I live in Missouri. My goal with Bonsai is to learn enough to nurture/shape some japanese maples to put in front of my house and on my deck. I have always loved those and there are so many pretty hybrids out there. I know this will take years before they can even start to be trained for bonsai so that is why I'm trying to start learning some now - maybe by the time the trees are old enough I'll feel confident enough to shape them into something beautiful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StLSeaWorldGirl

Plumeria as bonsai? 6 years 8 months ago #34417

• leatherback
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 3653
In understand. Plumeria needs frost-free. It is just not so suitable as a species for bonsai.

• Page: