Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Artifical Light for indoor bonsai, need details 6 years 6 months ago #35374

• Marcei
  • Marcei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
Hi all.

Before I got encouraged to start Bonsai,I was growing some vegetables and flowers indoor, in a DIY indoor greenhouse. It has 300W LED lightning (one of those with IR light and technological stuff).

Now I have over 6-7 bonsai in training and cuttings etc. which kept outside. But there is this little fella(sweet plum) which likes indoors. Sadly I dont have a south facing window and most windows are quite in shade all day. So I am keeping my Sweet Plum under LED light 14/10 on/off cycle, going same with the local daytime. The tree is staying there for 2 months now and I would say the growth is OK. But still Id like to have some advices maybe experiences to share with. Can I keep this sweet plum ( and gonna get a chinese elm) 365 days there? would it be a problem for the tree? what are the key things that I should do?

Thanks
Marcei

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: Post by Marcei.

Artifical Light for indoor bonsai, need details 6 years 6 months ago #35379

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
Ive got a big ficus retusa under 300W MH light over the winter. Altough it grows well with short internodes, I keep it outside most of the year when the temperature lets me to do so. It grows much better outside, gets more air, backbuds a lot late summer which it does not do inside for me.

All plants belong outside. If the climate does not allow you to keep it outside, then you should try to make a good eviroment for it. Otherwise it should be kepst outside.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marcei

Artifical Light for indoor bonsai, need details 6 years 6 months ago #35383

• Marcei
  • Marcei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 1
thanks!

How is your on/off cycle on your bonsai tree in winter? Do you simulate warm summer hours or going same as your local winter daytime? I want to know if that confuses or negatively effects the tree, I know they need to feel the seasons ( indoor plants too, they just need a warmer winter) but what if I keep it outside from spring to fall and simulate spring or summer in my indoor greenhouse when its winter? Stupid question maybe, but just want to know. Otherwise I cant keep it under my artifical lights because they simulate always the growth seasons for my other younglings and vegs

Artifical Light for indoor bonsai, need details 6 years 6 months ago #35388

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
As I have a strong MH light I only have it on 8 hours a day. Its enough to keep it strong and healthy until its time to put it outside. In my opinion no matter how hard you try to simulate a warm summer inside, you will not get the vigorous growth it would create outside. Even a rain makes much difference even though I only water with reverse osmosed purified water.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Marcei

• Page: