Bonsai forum

• Page:

TOPIC:

Fridge period 6 years 19 hours ago #39513

• NamiYuki
  • NamiYuki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
Hi! I'm New to the forum and the bonsai world! I've read that you must simulate winter by leaving the seeds in the fridge with a little damp soil. Considering it's mid April and I live in Sardinia which is humid and warm, how long should the seeds stay in the fridge? I have 5 types of trees: Acer rubrum, Cornus Mas, Pinus Mugo, Cercis Siliquastrum and Metasequoia Glyptostroboides. Thank you in advance!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fridge period 6 years 18 hours ago #39514

• Madartej21
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 102
You should consider having trees that like the climate where you live.

If you need to give it a cold time in the fridge, just ask youself, would it happen in the nature as well?

You will have a bad time caring for trees that need dormancy

Fridge period 6 years 16 hours ago #39515

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I've read that you must simulate winter by leaving the seeds in the fridge with a little damp soil... how long should the seeds stay in the fridge?

It depends on what exactly you are trying to do.
If you want to stratify them, you should have done it in your winter, for approximately 40 days.
If you do it now, you will be sowing in the summer, with is ok but not perfect timing.
On the other hand, if you are trying to give seedlings (not seeds) a period of dormancy, it's much more difficult, and then I agree with Madartej21, try to grow natives first. If you insist on these non-native species, (not all need a dormancy period, check info one by one), prepare yourself for a lot of work and frustration.
Is it possible? Yes. Is it very difficult? Yes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NamiYuki

Fridge period 6 years 11 hours ago #39523

• NamiYuki
  • NamiYuki's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thanks received: 0
I'm sorry maybe I phrased that wrong. It's warm now but it gets nice and cold (around 5 degrees) in winter.. I was given the seeds now and not in November so I can't give them a normal and natural dormancy period. That's why I'm considering the fridge..

Fridge period 6 years 11 hours ago #39525

• Clicio
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thanks received: 1549

I'm sorry maybe I phrased that wrong. It's warm now but it gets nice and cold (around 5 degrees) in winter.. I was given the seeds now and not in November so I can't give them a normal and natural dormancy period. That's why I'm considering the fridge..

It's spring, isn't it?
OK, stratify them in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks, and then sow them.
Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: NamiYuki

• Page: